Utility Construction TechnicianWESTERN VA WATER AUTHORITY
Utility Construction Technician
Summary of Job:
Performs unskilled and skilled work in the repairs, maintenance, and construction of water and sewer facilities and equipment and maintaining water and sanitary sewer service to customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned or scheduled.
- Performs water and sanitary sewer lines repairs and construction, rodder and combination sewer cleaner in sewer maintenance operations.
- Operates equipment when necessary including but not limited to hand tools, pumps, air compressors, saws, jumping jacks, generators or chain saws.
- Performs general laboring tasks.
- Makes repairs and installs water and sanitary sewer lines.
- Performs tasks such as sewer line troubleshooting and pipe installation.
- Services and makes minor repairs and adjustments to equipment.
- This position will not be required to work standby duty however employees in this position may be required to work overtime and extended hour
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work safely and obey all safety rules.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with coworkers, other Water Authority departments and the general public.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, maps and procedure manuals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, verbal or diagram form.
- Must possess and maintain a good work ethic with a strong emphasis on good attendance, reporting to work on time, completing job assignments in a timely manner, maintaining a good work attitude, performing all job duties as assigned and/or scheduled.
- Working knowledge of equipment, materials, methods and procedures used in water and sewer related activities.
- Skill in operating some of the equipment required for pipeline repair.
- Ability to work varied work shifts including standby hours as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent. Previous experience preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificate, License, Registration Requirements:
Must possess a valid Virginia driver's license or have the ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment date. No more than six (6) demerit points on driving record if required to drive Water Authority vehicles.
-Must be able to obtain Class A CDL (Commercial Driver's License) with tanker endorsement within 6 months of employment. Promotion to Utility Construction Technician II once all requirements are met (see Promotional Requirements below).
For an individual to be promoted from a Technician I to a Technician II it is required that the individual has the following:
- Hold a valid Class A CDL with a tanker endorsement for a minimum of 30 days.
- Minimum 30 days operating dump truck and trailer.
- Completed Field Operations/VML driving test and approved to operate by a Class A CDL permit holder.
- Can operate sewer wet trucks for standby and emergency calls.
- No disciplinary actions in file for the last 6 months.
- Shows good attendance and reliability.
- Follows all safety procedures and policies.
- Promotion recommendation from direct Supervisor