Utilities Locator/Ground WorkerVirginia Tech
Reporting to the VTES Electric Service Manager, the Utilities Locator/Ground Worker accurately identifies, locates, and marks the location of subsurface electric utilities in order to minimize accidental damage or disruption of service due to construction or excavation activities. Communicates with customers/excavators to understand excavation locations and limits. Performs locates within the prescribed time and provides responses to Virginia Utility Protection Service (VUPS) accordingly. Assists with electric utility construction and maintenance projects when not locating.
- Must have a working knowledge of electric distributions systems, including safety practices of the electric -distribution industry; i.e. previous job experience, education, training, or equivalent.
- Must be familiar with underground locating policies and procedures and industry standards.
- Must have experience working around conductors energized at up to 12,470 volts.
- Must have completed an initial lineworker apprentice course (or equivalent experience).
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Ability to locate and mark existing electric underground infrastructure including electric primary and secondary -lines, junction boxes, manholes and vaults within prescribed accuracy and time requirements.
- Ability to read and interpret utility maps, plans, and drawings to identify the type and size of underground utilities.
- Ability to work alone or in a team setting and receive and follow verbal instructions.
- Ability to use a computer or tablet to receive, document and close out VUPS excavation notices, both during normal hours and after hours.
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with customers, excavators, utility reps, and company personnel and third parties regarding underground facilities.
- Required to enter manholes and confined spaces using appropriate safety procedures and equipment.
- Experience with Virginia Utility Protection Service (VUPS) (Miss Utility - 811)
- Possess a valid Commercial Driver License (CDL).
- Experience operating equipment such as backhoe, excavator.
- Familiarity with tools of the electric distribution industry.
Nov 1, 2019
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.