Team Lead, Business ApplicationsVirginia Tech
Provide leadership to and day to day supervision of a team of application analysts, ensuring timely delivery and accurate results. Manage and coordinate activities, set priorities, ensure proper coverage, and provide performance feedback to team. Provide guidance, mentorship, and leadership by example. Elicit functional requirements using a variety of techniques and tools such as interviews, requirements workshops, business process descriptions, use cases, task and workflow analysis. Interpret customer business needs using analytical skills combined with technical expertise to create system requirements and specifications. Develop test plans and review new and modified systems and programs to ensure all programs and systems meet customer business needs, internal standards, and efficiency requirements. Analyze, develop, maintain, and modify complex information systems in a diverse technical environment to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
Analyze and review the service offerings for existing and new enterprise information systems to ensure the effective utilization of vendor systems, technology standards, and local modifications so that these information systems remain viable and sustainable over time from an enterprise perspective. Act as a member of ad-hoc teams by providing assistance and expertise and by performing assigned tasks and objectives as part of the implementation, development, and maintenance of enterprise information systems.
Provide consultancy, expertise, coaching and advice to all application analysts on the team. Research, document, and enforce best practices for design, development, and testing. Provide management on matters of customer service for all delivered solutions. Build effective relationships with other groups within and outside of Enterprise Systems. Align service offerings, support processes, and access controls with other groups within Enterprise Systems including collaboration on solution design to ensure fit-for-purpose and end-to-end solutions. Promote the re-use of code, components, and systems. Ensure that solutions delivered are supportable, cost effective, meet strategic business needs, and align with our technical strategy. Collaborate with other members of the Business Application & Integration Services team to design, implement, and maintain service offerings. Other responsibilities as necessary.
● Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or a related field, or equivalent experience
● Demonstrated experience maintaining and enhancing processes related to graduate contract management and undergraduate admissions document management
● Significant recent Grails application development experience
● Hands-on experience with the SDLC in a Higher Education devops production environment leveraging Docker containers
● Proven ability to work effectively and build relationships in a team environment, in a leadership capacity, with gradually increasing levels of responsibility
● Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
● Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
● Excellent customer service skills
● Strong coaching skills. Ability to step outside role confines and help teach and enable other team members.
● Experience using one or more programming languages to perform database queries, modifications, and database transactions
● Experience with Test Driven Development and/or Agile Development
● Experience with customer-facing support services
● Strong sense of responsibility and desire to grow
Commensurate with Experience
August 29, 2019
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.