Senior Learning Data Analyst
Responsible for coordinating the investigation and development of data-informed, innovative tools that enhance and extend all technology platforms provided by the TLOS Learning Systems (LS) team, including, but not limited to:
- Canvas learning management system
- Zoom video conferencing platform
- Kaltura video content management system
- EvaluationKIT survey platform
- Canvas Catalog course registration system
- TLOS’s enterprise WordPress instance
- The TLOS data analytics infrastructure
Core duties include:
- Analyze existing data within TLOS’s supported systems to discover opportunities for enhancing systems.
- Partner with faculty to identify pedagogical problems that can be solved by innovative uses of digital learning tools.
- Explore and evaluate new technologies that can improve instruction, and then encourage and support faculty in the appropriate use of such technologies.
- Prototype, implement, and test new features for platforms within Virginia Tech’s digital learning ecosystem.
- Work collaboratively with other teams within TLOS to meet project goals and organizational objectives.
- Design, enhance, and optimize TLOS’s data dashboards to improve the organization’s reporting capabilities.
- Provide end-user support as part of TLOS’s operations team.
- Serve as a “voice of innovation” within the Learning Systems team and TLOS more broadly.
- Master’s degree in instructional design and technology.
- Completion of coursework (minimum of 2 courses) in human-computer interaction and/or usability.
- 10 years of total experience working in higher education.
- 5 years of teaching experience in higher education.
- 2 years of experience working with educational technologies, both existing and emerging.
- 2 years of experience analyzing large data sets and creating customized data visualizations, both static and interactive.
- 2 years of software development experience in a higher education environment, using one or more of the following programming languages: Python, Node/JS, C/C++, Java.
- 2 years of experience supporting faculty and student projects in educational technology.
- 2 years of experience creating and maintaining relational databases for use in web-based applications.
- 1 year of experience in product research and selection methodologies.
- 5 years of experience with learning management systems, online collaboration systems, and source code management systems (such as Git, Subversion, or CVS).
- Demonstrated experience, over a period of 5 years or more, making professional presentations and developing oral, print, digital, and web-based materials that successfully communicate technical concepts to a diverse and frequently nontechnical audience.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Kessler at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.