Residential Mail Supervisor
Reporting to the Mail Services Manager, the Residential Mail Supervisor will provide direct supervision direct supervision in receiving and distribution of student packages and mail, and departmental mail at the South Main Warehouse, Owens Hall and Graduate Life Center mail rooms. This position will ensure the timely receiving and delivery of all inbound mail and packages through direct delivery, mail rooms, and intelligent locker systems on campus.
Additionally, this position supervises, trains and make schedules for employees including staff/wage employees, and potential Work Study employees as well. In the absence of the Supervisor in the Owen’s Residential Mail location, this position will provide supervisor oversight for staff and location. This position is a working supervisor, which means in absence of support staff, the supervisor must be able to step into an employee's role to expedite mail/packages through the sorting and the delivery of mail. This position will promote employee development through employee engagement, recognition for achieved skills and competencies and the encouragement and support for high-performance self-monitoring work teams, in a positive work environment.
This position is designated as essential personnel.
• Knowledge of United States Postal System handling requirements.
• Experience in delivering and sorting mail and packages.
• Experience in supervising a large warehouse/shipping & receiving operation.
• Supervisory experience including the ability to plan and direct activities for a group of employees.
• Experience in scheduling full and part-time staff over two shifts each day.
• Strong customer service skills.
• HR experience in the process of hiring and onboarding of new employees.
• Experience working with the public in a service field.
• Experience working with database software and basic computer skills using word processing and spreadsheets.
• Strong communication, organizational, time management and problems solving skills.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Must be able to: safely move and handle up to 70lbs.; sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb stairs, and perform repetitive movement of reaching, lifting, sorting and carrying mail, packages, and boxes for long periods of time.
•Must be willing to work in a variety of weather conditions.
•The ability to complete the MDP - Mail Designer Professional course within a one year of employment.
• Supervising operations of a large mail processing facility and its satellite locations.
• Experience with Pitney Bowes SendSuite Package System, SC Logic, or similar package tracking system.
• Record keeping experience.
• Knowledge of HokieMart and Banner.
• Experience creating routes and schedules for maximum efficiencies.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Jackie McClanahan at Jackie85@vt.edu during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.