Research TechnicianVirginia Tech
A part-time, hourly, Research Technician is being sought for the lab of Dr. Brooks King-Casas at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC (http://research.vtc.vt.edu) in Roanoke, Virginia. We are looking for a Research Technician that can work on a short-term basis in an hourly wage capacity who has interest and experience in clinical psychology, neuroscience or behavioral economics. The position available will range in length between 1 month and 1 year and can be renewed as needed. There are no fringe benefits associated with this position and is ideal for an individual looking for part time work, students, or others looking to expand their experience in the research field. Projects in the lab are highly interdisciplinary and combine methods from experimental and clinical psychology, neuroscience, and behavioral economics with functional neuroimaging to investigate brain function in healthy and psychiatric populations. This position will provide an excellent opportunity to gain research experience in fMRI, neuroeconomics, cognitive / social neuroscience, or clinical psychology as preparation for graduate school or medical school.
Research assistants are an essential part of the scientific team and play a lead role in participant recruitment & assessment, study implementation & coordination, data processing, database management, and grant/manuscript preparation. Training and supervision are provided for all aspects of the job.
1. Recruiting, screening, consenting, assessing, and generally maintaining good communication with research participants and collaborators.
2. Collecting data from various modalities including: questionnaires, fMRI, genetic samples.
3. Assisting with IRB protocol preparation and progress reports.
4. Assisting with day-to-day logistics of ongoing lab projects.
5. Working with the team to identify needs and priorities.
• Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced, human-oriented research environment.
• Demonstrated attention to detail, organizational skills, and excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint or equivalent.
• Experience in one or more of the following research areas: neuroscience, psychology, biology, or human nutrition.
• Experience with data collection or data management.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism.
This position is considered part-time, hourly ($12-$14/hr) and not eligible for benefits.
September 26, 2019
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.