This position is responsible for providing technical support for the Kehn-Hall Laboratory at Virginia Tech to ensure seamless operations and promote a thriving research environment. The individual reports directly to Dr. Kylene Kehn-Hall. The Kehn-Hall lab performs research on emerging viruses, including Rift Valley fever virus, Venezuelan equine encephalitic virus, eastern equine encephalitis virus, and SARS-CoV-2. Duties will involve performing in vitro and animal procedures in BSL2, ABSL2, BSL3, and ABSL3 environments. Responsibilities also include data analysis, report and manuscript preparation, compliance with all safety regulations, and assistance with SOP development. The individual is expected to work collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams from academia, government and industry.
• Successful completion of a MS in Microbiology or a closely related field or a BS in Microbiology or a closely related field with a minimum of 2 years relevant laboratory experience
• Capable of receiving Security Risk Assessment (SRA) approval
• Proficient in cell culture and in vitro viral techniques (infections, plaque assays, PRNTs, generation of virus through reverses genetics systems including in vitro transcription and electroporation)
• Experience working with infectious disease rodent models, including performing inoculations, blood collection, drug treatments, clinical symptom monitoring, euthanasia, gross necropsies, and viral titers analysis of organs.
• Knowledge of the regulations, policies, guidelines, and issues surrounding animal technical procedures
• Possess molecular and protein biology skills, including experience with RT-qPCR, western blotting, immunoprecipitations, DNA/RNA extractions, plasmid prep, molecular cloning, luciferase/luminescence assays, and transfections.
• Experience independently organizing and conducting complex procedures and experiments with minimal supervision
• Should be enthusiastic and dedicated, have the ability and interest in learning new techniques; must be able to follow verbal and written instructions; be observant, attentive to detail, organized, efficient, and work well with others
• Experience working with RNA viruses, including VEEV, EEEV, RVFV, and/or and SARS-CoV-2.
• Experience working with select agents in Biosafety Level 3 (BSL-3)
• Proficient in antiviral activity testing including CC50 and EC50 determinations
• Prior experience performing safety testing methods for removal of samples from containment.
• Experience with immunohistochemical staining and analysis of tissue sections and confocal fluorescent microscopy
Pay Band 3 - Salary; Commensurate with experience
August 30, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Paula Stith at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.