Research AssistantVirginia Tech
The Center for Transformative Research on Health Behaviors (CTRHB), a research center at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC in Roanoke, VA, is dedicated to the prevention and treatment of lifestyle-related disease. CTRHB is looking for a Research Assistant to work primarily on NIH-funded research projects examining decision-making processes and interventions relevant to obesity, type 2 diabetes, cancer survivorship, and tobacco use, among others. Typically, a Research Assistant supports a scientist in the performance of various recruitment, technical, and data collection activities for research or laboratory programs. This role will serve as part of the research team working collaboratively and independently to collect and interpret human subject data for grant-funded research projects. Laboratory and research support responsibilities range from entry- to advanced-level.
The duties of the role will include but may not be limited to the following:
● Making significant contributions to the projects assigned and the achievement of the project’s research goals.
● Recruiting and screening volunteers to participate in a range of research studies examining decision-making and health behavior.
● Scheduling and confirming appointments for participant research study visits.
● Collecting and entering data from research participants per approved protocols, standard operating procedures, and experiment instructions.
● Administering assessments and structured interviews, collecting urine, saliva, and/or blood specimens, and performing on-site analyses during subject study visits, all according to research protocols.
● Research record keeping and subject payments.
● Maintenance of office and laboratory supplies inventory.
● Maintaining accurate and confidential records used for conducting and monitoring multiple studies.
● Conducting literature searches to gather background information for use by the Principal Investigator (PI) and other research team members in developing and evaluating research protocols and grant applications.
● Participating in research team meetings to report on research progress, improve data collection processes, assist with problem solving, and address protocol issues that arise during the course of research studies.
● Other duties as assigned.
● BA/BS in psychology, biology, neuroscience, or related field, and/or the equivalent level of training and experience.
● Demonstrated data entry experience.
● Demonstrated organizational skills or experience with data management.
● Desire to succeed in a fast-paced research environment with multiple duties.
● Demonstrated attention to detail, organizational skills, and excellent written and oral communication skills.
● Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professionalism.
● Experience with basic laboratory protocols including proper handling of subject specimens, data collection, subject recruitment, subject assessments, and data management.
● Proficiency with REDCap, Qualtrics, or similar survey tools and/or experience with statistical analysis.
August 9, 2019
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.