Program Accountant & A/R Specialist
The Continuing and Professional Education (CPE) finance team provides financial reporting to CPE as well as the Commomwealth Campus Centers (CCC), the Language and Culture Institute (LCI), the Center for Organizational and Technological Advancement (COTA) and the Executive Briefing Center. The team provides support for more than 325 programs each year with approximately $14,000,000 in gross revenue.
The Program Accountant / Accounts Receivable Specialist for the CPE finance team will work independently to monitor, analyze, reconcile and report on assigned program funds, as well as serve as the departmental resource for accounts receivable and refund processes.
Program accounting duties include ensuring compliance of established university and state procedures, verification of the accuracy of revenues and expenditures, development of projections, and the preparation of billings and financial reports in a timely manner.
Responsibilities for the external Accounts Receivable process include new vendor setup, generation of invoices through the Banner AR system, and monthly analysis of external accounts receivable balances. Internal accounts receivable will also be monitored and transferred to the correct program funds via internal service requests (ISR). Knowledge of VT billing procedures and the CPE Funds Handling policy is necessary as well as the ability to research complex billing issues. This role will serve as a departmental liaison to the VT Bursar’s office.
This position will also oversee participant refunds from the Destiny system, which include refunds from cash equivalent and credit card transactions.
The person in this position is expected to maintain a thorough knowledge of both internal CPE and university systems (including Banner, Destiny, HokieMart, Chrome River, MicroStrategy and TimeClock).
• Ability to perform work requiring analysis of data and application of applicable professional principles and standards.
• Ability to research, investigate, analyze, reconcile, and evaluate data.
• Knowledge of accounting functions or principles, general business practices, collection procedures, and/or applicable computer systems.
• Ability to interact with internal and external customers using both verbal and written communication skills to discuss financial processes or issues.
• Ability to apply, interpret, or assess university and state policies, procedures, laws, and regulations to departmental financial transactions.
• Ability to resolve routine issues, and make independent and logical decisions and/or recommendations
• Ability to work in high-volume, fast-paced, team environment
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training in accounting, finance or business;
• Knowledge of state and federal laws, rules, and regulations
• Experience with HokieMart, Destiny and/or Banner or similar software
• Experience with leading projects or teams
Commensurate with experience, up to budget maximum of $43,000
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisa Mahaney at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.