Dr. Xin M. Luo’s “Gut Microbiota and Immunity” Laboratory at the Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology of the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Tech, is seeking to fill a Postdoctoral Associate position. The successful candidate must have strong immunology background and is expected to work independently to accomplish research projects related to the role of probiotic Lactobacillus spp. in autoimmune lupus.
- PhD or MD/PhD degree in immunology, biological sciences or related field. PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
- Experience should include but is not limited to: culturing bacteria both aerobically and anaerobically, animal colony maintenance, tissue histology and immune-labeling, performing cell culture experiments using isolated mouse cells as well as human cells, tissue harvesting and qPCR, Western Blot analysis, flow cytometry, data collection and analysis, and laboratory organization.
- Must be highly self-motivated after initial supervision, willing to learn new experimental skills, and to work individually and collaboratively with a variety of individuals for more than one projects simultaneously.
- Must be proficient in animal studies.
- Excellent scientific writing and manuscript preparation skills.
- Experience with animal handling that includes collections of urine, blood, and feces, data analysis including that of big data (e.g. metabolomics), and data preparation for publication.
Commensurate with experience
July 15, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Paula Stith at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.