Postdoc - Baker I-SPY DATA Lab
The Injuries in Sport and Physical Activity Data Analysis and Training Advances Lab (I-SPY DATA Lab) at Virginia Tech is a data driven epidemiological research laboratory. Physical activity is recommended to aid in preventing health issues and improving quality of life over the lifespan. Injury is a recognized outcome and yet all of the who, why, and how is not yet understood. In our laboratory, we:
• Develop data sources to better illustrate sport and physical activity related injury over the lifespan.
• Quantitatively and qualitatively analyze differences across populations to advance prevention.
• Develop and mentor strong, skilled, and diverse scientists in a friendly and productive environment.
• Continue to serve and educate communities through sharing our data and results.
The position is available immediately and is based in Blacksburg, VA in the Department of Population Health Sciences. Telework is allowed. The fellow will collaborate with the PI Charlotte Baker on data linkage and analysis for sports and recreational injury surveillance projects, supervise graduate students, and develop their own line of research to progress to independence. We regularly collaborate with researchers across campus, clinical and government partners, and other academic institutions. Opportunities exist for funded travel to national/international meetings. The fellow is expected to publish and present in a variety of venues.
- Doctoral degree in epidemiology, public health, or a related field AND demonstrated experience in physical activity or injury research. Terminal degree must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of the appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining
- Statistical and statistical programming (SAS, R, Python, and/or STATA) knowledge required.
- Demonstrated interest in epidemiology is expected. Must be highly self-motivated after initial supervision, willing to learn new skills, and able to work individually and collaboratively with a variety of individuals for more than one project simultaneously.
- Experience with project management, data preparation for publication, scientific writing and manuscript preparation skills.
Faculty - Salary
July 23, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Tammy Stevers at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.