Plumber SteamfitterVirginia Tech
|Reporting to the Buildings and Grounds Supervisor, the Plumber/Steamfitter works as part of a multi-trade team performing preventative and scheduled maintenance on a wide range of electrical and mechanical systems. Area of focus will be performance of tasks in the mechanical trades (plumbing, steam fitting, HVAC, and maintenance millwright) in support of building maintenance/installation on the Virginia Tech campus.|
|- Must have or be able to obtain a Journeyman’s or Masters license in plumbing, steam fitting, HVAC, maintenance millwright, or all four trades within eleven months of hire date; OR current Journey or Master level licensing agreement (reciprocity) from another jurisdiction as approved by the Virginia Board for Contractors. Must obtain Virginia license within 6 months of employment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to perform routine plumbing/mechanical tasks.
- Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more; ability to maneuver materials up and down stairs; ability to climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds; ability to work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, pushing/pulling; ability to communicate effectively, have good team work skills, and be able to understand, comprehend and follow directions in the workplace.
- Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures.
- May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
- This is a designated emergency personnel position.
|- Experience in a commercial, construction, or educational settings.
- Knowledge of plumbing/steam fitting/HVAC/mechanical equipment.
Commensurate with Experience
September 2, 2019
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check and a driver's license check.
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.