Plant Operator Assistant
Plant Operator Assistant operates all ash removal and related equipment. Assists plant operator with the operation of coal, gas, and oil-fired boilers, auxiliary equipment, and air pollution control equipment. Operates boilers and turbo-generators for training purposes and during emergency conditions. Performs preventive maintenance on plant equipment, including lubrication. Assists in water handling and testing, including operating reverse osmosis units, the regeneration of condensate polishers, and domestic softeners. Operates loader and coal delivery systems as required.
• Demonstrated mechanical experience and/or completed course work in mechanical/HVAC/process instrumentation.
• American Society of Power Engineers Power Plant 3rd Class (PO3) or equivalent, or must obtain within 18 months of employment into position.
• Ability to learn and perform water analysis and softener regeneration procedures.
• Ability to interpret instructions and complete assignments as part of a team.
• Ability to key and record data.
• Ability to work shift work.
• Ability to safely, frequently and independently move and handle (including pushing/pulling) items weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Ability to climb steps and ladders up to four stories.
• Ability to work in confined spaces, in extreme heat and dusty environments.
• Though work is performed primarily indoors, must be able to work outside in all weather conditions.
• Work may require bending, crouching and/or kneeling, standing, sitting and walking for up to one-hour duration at a time.
• Previous experience in a power plant and/or with high pressure boiler related experience.
• Courses taken in mechanical/HVAC/process instrumentation and/or steam boiler operation.
$30,000 - $36,000
July 28th, 2021
|• Though work is performed primarily indoors, must be able to work outside in all weather conditions.
• Ability to safely, frequently and independently move and handle (including pushing/pulling) items weighing up to 50 pounds; climb steps and ladders up to four stories; work in confined spaces, in extreme heat and dusty environments; and bending, crouching and/or kneeling, standing, sitting and walking for up to one-hour duration at a time.
• Must have a criminal background check.
• Emergency Personnel health &; safety related.
• Position is considered Emergency Personnel and employee is expected to work as scheduled. The plant is operated 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. Shift could be 7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm, or 11pm-7am. As needed, may be requested to work additional hours/shifts to meet department needs.
• Rotational carrying of pager for on-call duty.
• Must have health and safety medical check.
• Occasional use/wearing of a respirator may be required.
• Must wear employer provided uniforms as instructed by supervisor or lead.
• As situation dictates, must wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.