The Controller’s Office is seeking a payroll professional to manage the university’s front-end payroll functions. The Payroll Supervisor provides oversight for the employee benefit deduction process; compliance with federal, state and university payroll regulations; retroactive changes to labor funding sources; and the university’s unemployment process.
Additionally, this position is responsible for auditing department payroll reconciliations and using end-user feedback to revise payroll training materials; supervising a team of four and routinely assessing workload to redistribute assignments as necessary to optimize workflow; reviewing processes and procedures to ensure compliance and increase efficiency; and completing special projects (e.g., prepare supporting documentation for audit requests, system upgrades, new initiatives etc.).
• Associates degree in accounting, finance, business or related field
• Working knowledge of applicable payroll concepts and regulations (e.g., labor laws, employment classification, payments to nonresident aliens, leave payouts, benefit deductions, etc.)
• Experience interpreting and applying complex federal, state and organizational policies and regulations
• Experience conducting research, account analysis, and performing reconciliations
• Proficient user of Microsoft Office Word and Excel
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to provide customer service courteously and work effectively with diverse groups of people
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or related field
• Supervisory experience
• Professional certification such as FPC, CPP, CPA
• Experience using automated payroll/financial systems
• Experience working with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems such as Banner Payroll/HR or other automated payroll systems in a high-volume environment
• Experience with payroll deductions and updates
• Experience working in a higher education setting
• Experience with time and attendance software
• Experience with nonresident employment verification requirements
September 10, 2021
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Julie Weaver at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.