Marketing & Comm Coordinator
We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated, and entrepreneurial-minded individual with experience and skills in web content management, writing and editing, site management, and social media.
The Marketing & Communications Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the production of promotional, marketing, and digital communications. This position will be responsible for maintaining the Apex Center for Entrepreneur’s digital presence. In addition to writing,
editing, and proofreading site content, this person will also work closely with staff to maintain standards with regard to the development of new print and digital materials, and continue to build out strategy related to social media.
Tasks require strong attention to detail and the ability to develop content under tight deadlines. The Coordinator provides direct oversight and coordination of the Apex Center for Entrepreneur’s digital programs, marketing, and communications that promote the integration of the mission of the center, stimulate engagement with alumni, and encourage giving in a cohesive voice that adheres to the center’s brand.
Working with the Pamplin communications and marketing director, and collaboratively with the advancement team, senior leadership, and other staff, the coordinator will help plan and implement a comprehensive communications and marketing plan to support the center’s strategic goals. This position works collaboratively with colleagues from the Pamplin College of Business and University Relations to enhance the reputation of and to build support for the
college and its programs.
This position will be expected to develop and execute new and creative ways to tell the story of the center using a variety of tools (stories, photos, video, web projects, media outreach, social media) that have specific and measurable goals.
Primary job duties include:
● Oversee the Center’s communications, which includes responsibility for the successful
execution of the Apex Center’s marketing, digital platforms, web-presence, social media
campaigns. Duties include, but are not limited to:
● Copyedit and proofread all web content to ensure accuracy of information
● Work with internal and external marketing personnel and/or Center executives to develop or
revise marketing collateral
● Utilize list serves, email lists for promotion, social media outlets, and other outlets to
increase marketing reach and share-of-audience
● Work with marketing personnel and key stakeholders to coordinate the development and
design of web pages as necessary
● Lead efforts to improve marketing pieces on a continuing basis to be more appealing to all
key audiences served by Apex Center
● Create and manage content for the Apex Center’s web presence
● Ensure digital projects and web content are on brand, on budget, and on time
This role requires strong attention to detail and a willingness to obsess about execution. This work requires a strong analysis and communications skill sets. In addition, the ability to take initiative in a highly collaborative team setting is a must.
● Successful, professional experience in communications, marketing, print journalism, media
relations, or other forms of written communication.
● Bachelor’s degree in business, public relations, communications, journalism, English or
related discipline or equivalent level of training and or experience.
● Training or experience in media relations and information-campaign development.
● Experience managing marketing campaigns and digital projects.
● Track record of creating compelling and impactful digital communications that work across
various platforms and can be translated into print.
● Highly self-motivated and with ability to work effectively in a team setting.
● Proven skills in customer service, attention to detail, quality assurance, and ability to
schedule and meet project deadlines among multiple and competing priorities.
● History of overseeing a professional social media account that promotes engagement.
● Strong communications, organizational, and interpersonal skills, with a high standard of
integrity, and broad-based communications planning.
● Ability to work independently and manage time effectively.
● Significant work experience in roles that require high profile communications, executive presence, and analytical rigor.
● Ability to see a project move from ideation through to production and completion and ability to codify ideas into coherently written text
● High proficiency with commonly used software platforms, including Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and publishing platforms.
● Knowledge or experience with Content Management System (CMS) software.
● Experience shooting and editing video.
● Experience developing and implementing a brand.
● Track record of communications efforts that support development objectives.
● Experience and working knowledge with WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, content management software.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Samantha Gagnet at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.