The Grounds Worker position supports the Grounds Department in the installation and maintenance of the University grounds by operating various trucks, commercial-type riding mowers, push mowers, leaf vacs, farm tractors with attachments, rototillers, chainsaws, weed eaters, and small power and hand tools. Performs daily routine maintenance such as checking oil and fluid levels, inspecting belts, sharpening blades, replacing blades, and making minor repairs. Removes snow from sidewalks, ramps and steps.
* General/manual labor related experience.
* Must have a valid Driver's License.
* Must have the ability to safely operate commercial type mowers, tractors, and power tools; perform preventative maintenance on equipment; and perform required duties safely in a densely populated area.
* Ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing 50 pounds or more.
* Ability to climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds.
* Ability to work for long periods of time standing, sitting, walking, reaching, bending, and pushing/pulling.
* Ability to communicate effectively, work cooperatively within a team setting, and be able to understand, comprehend and follow directions in the workplace.
* Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures. May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
* Previous experience in grounds care in an institutional or commercial setting; experience using commercial riding mowers, tractors, small power and hand tools; experience performing grounds maintenance in populated areas.
Posting will remain active until the position is filled; preference will be given to submissions received prior to 7/15/2021 (review date).
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.