Global Education AdvisorVirginia Tech
Virginia Tech seeks applicants for the position of Global Education Advisor (GEA) in the Global Education Office. The GEA position is a full-time non-student staff position and reports directly to the Assistant Director of Global Education for Student Services. The successful candidate will work closely with members of the campus community and students to promote education abroad programs and activities in accordance with the internationalization objectives established in the university’s strategic plan. The GEA must also understand best advising practices established in the field in addition to a comprehensive awareness of campus policies and procedures as they relate to education abroad. Candidate should demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for identifying academic and programmatic options in assigned regions, and focus on student’s intercultural skills development. S/he must also be student-centered and have an understanding of college student development to provide the best advising services to VT students with a commitment to diversity. Like all team members, the GEA will assist with other duties as assigned, including event set-up and assistance. Occasional weekend and evening hours may be required.
- Experience providing support in a professional or academic office
- Experience in directly advising or supporting college/university students
- Previous program management or event coordination
- Experience studying, living or working abroad
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Very strong organizational skills, demonstrable from previous professional or personal
- Ability to work independently in a team environment
- Working familiarity with Microsoft Office suite of programs
- Proficiency in a second language
- Experience in study abroad or international education
- Experience creating programs or training on Intercultural Skills Development
- Experience developing and delivering workshops or presentations
- Familiarity with Virginia Tech academic policies
- Familiarity with TerraDotta application and program management platform
- Supervisory experience
Commensurate with experience, up to a salary max. of $40,000
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.