Facilities AssistantVirginia Tech
Responsible for maintaining established interior and exterior standards of cleanliness, sanitation, safety, and care on the Virginia Tech campus. Duties include routine floor maintenance; restroom cleaning; dusting; gathering and removal of trash and recycling; debris, leaf, snow, and ice removal from entranceways and sidewalks; weeding, mowing, trimming, and edging of assigned lawn areas; and replenishing supplies. Performs general landscape restoration including improvement of planting beds, seeding, and sodding. Reports needed equipment and building repair and any unsafe or unusual situations. Responsible for the care and handling of housekeeping/grounds supplies, equipment, and assigned keys. Occasionally assists with the setup, staffing, and breakdown of events. Remains cognizant of accessibility impacts of ongoing work, is proactive in mitigating and/or reporting physical barriers inside and outside campus buildings.
This position is designated Emergency Personnel, and requires employees to report to work as needed during campus emergencies, holidays, closings, and per supervisor’s instructions.
• Demonstrated experience in general maintenance skills.
• Must be able to walk and stand extensively; climb stairs; safely move or handle up to 50 lbs; bend, stoop, reach (including reaching above the head for dusting), push/pull, perform repetitive motion, twist, and shovel snow.
• Must be able to safely and efficiently operate electrically powered and manual equipment.
• Ability to comprehend and follow instructions, and properly use or learn to use cleaning chemicals and agents, including dilution and dispensing systems.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and cooperatively with others.
• Ability to communicate effectively with employees and vendors.
• Excellent customer service and communication skills for interaction with employees, students, and visitors.
• This position is designated Emergency Personnel, and requires employees to report to work during emergencies, closings, and per supervisor’s instructions.
|• Housekeeping/cleaning/grounds care experience in an institutional or commercial environment (such as hospitality (hotel/motel), commercial cleaning company, manufacturing, healthcare facilities, etc.).
• Housekeeping/cleaning/grounds care experience working in an educational environment (such as universities/college, school systems, etc.).
• Previous experience operating professional cleaning or grounds equipment.
$11-12 per hour
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.