Executive AssistantVirginia Tech
The Executive Assistant provides specialized and complex administrative support to the Associate Vice President for Advancement and Chief Operating Officer (AVP/COO) including coordinating and scheduling meetings, managing the AVP/COO’s calendar, assisting in preparation of reports and correspondence, maintaining and updating systems and databases, managing special projects, and facilitating effective interaction within and outside the university. The AVP/COO relies on the Executive Assistant to set up effective and efficient processes to allow the AVP/COO to focus time and effort strategically to achieve key division goals. He/she provides critical support through research, analysis, writing, information coordination, relationship management, and project management. He/she will have the role of communicating regularly with equivalent and/or higher level personnel within the university. The Executive Assistant will work on projects from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities including confidential and sensitive matters with the utmost discretion. The Executive Assistant is responsible for independently managing key projects, including benchmarking and reporting that requires extensive coordination with Advancement leadership. The ideal candidate must be professional, organized, flexible, self-directed, have strong interpersonal skills, and be an effective communicator.
• Coordinate the activities of the AVP/COO, including management of complex calendars, travel arrangements, and associated logistics.
• Develop an in-depth understanding of the AVP/COO’s priorities, needs, and role within the university to appropriately commit time to those requesting access to the AVP/COO.
• Develop, review, edit, and draft presentations and documentation in collaboration with the AVP/COO and leadership team; independently research and analyze associated issues and/or compile materials needed for presentation and/or decision making purposes. Compose correspondence as necessary and ensure usage of proper branding.
• Independently prioritize, plan, coordinate and/or oversee logistics for meetings and conferences with individuals and entities internal and external to the university.
• Anticipate leadership needs, proactively solve problems, and/or independently handle issues as necessary while interacting with Senior Leadership Team.
• Serve as the primary liaison to various internal and external constituencies on behalf of the AVP/COO, including screening correspondence and telephone calls, prioritizing and keeping the AVP/COO informed of all matters requiring attention.
• Maintain the strictest levels of confidentiality and interact with appropriateness to all levels of the organization.
• Other special projects and duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Communications, or related field or equivalent level of training and or experience.
• Demonstrated high-level administrative experience supporting executive level individuals within a fast-paced, self-directed, and demanding environment.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to maintain strict accuracy and be hyper-sensitive to details.
• Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
• Proven ability to cultivate positive working relationships and gain the trust and respect of all levels of internal and external constituencies.
• Demonstrated ability to perform duties with a high level of professionalism, flexibility, discretion, judgment, diplomacy, and tact.
• Ability to multi-task, adapt to changing priorities, and meet deadlines.
• Advanced computer skills and demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
• Proven experience working with Sharepoint or a similar document sharing system.
• Experience coordinating domestic travel arrangements.
• Prior experience at Virginia Tech or other higher education environment.
• Demonstrated proficiency with Banner, HokieMart, and/or other related accounting systems.
• Demonstrated experience creating and maintaining policy and procedure documentation.
• Familiarity with project management tools.
• Prior experience working in a team-oriented environment
• Proven editing and journalistic skills
October 21, 2019
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.