This position plans, organizes and coordinates in-person, online, and hybrid events related to research development initiatives, including conferences, workshops, seminars, and training opportunities. This includes:
• scheduling and coordination of programs, conferences, events, seminars, and invited guests and speakers;
• managing timelines and corresponding deliverables to ensure timely and professional implementation of programs;
• providing on-site management, coordination and supervision of events and programs to ensure program success;
• providing travel and other logistical support to speakers, participants, and other program representatives;
• researching, negotiating, and providing recommendation on program site selection to maintain compliance with purchasing guidelines and program needs;
• and collaborating with the Communications team to promote upcoming events to appropriate internal and external audiences.
This position will also provide receptionist services, answering the phone and relaying messages as needed, greeting and directing guests and providing general office support and backup administrative support for the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation. Professionalism, confidentiality and flexibility are a must to manage the fast-paced environment of the office.
Minimal travel required. Support for an occasional event in Northern Virginia might be needed.
- Experience in planning, scheduling, and executing events with minimal supervision, using sound judgement, discretion, tact and initiative;
- Proficiency in the use of standard office software such as Microsoft Office;
- Attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills, communicating in multiple modes with clarity and professionalism.
Commensurate with experience
August 9, 2021
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Kaitlin Winfree at Kaitnw@vt.edu during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.