Director of FinanceVirginia Tech
Seeking a qualified, experienced director of finance to join the team at The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center, a university auxiliary enterprise. Reporting directly to the general manager of the hotel and conference center, the director of finance is responsible for development and implementation of the annual university auxiliary budget and corresponding management company budget, and monthly reconciliation of both systems. Duties include management of daily operations within the IVTSCC’s accounting department; as well as supervision, training, professional development, and performance management of accounting staff. The director promotes positive and collaborative communication between university departments and management group teams, and other institutional partners; and applies in-depth understanding of accounting principles and university, state, and management company business policies and procedures to ensure consistency and compliance of an $11+ million budget. This position supports IVTSCC management and hotel staff by designing and developing targeted reports for use across all units of the organization. Functions as the lead power user of all accounting software. Areas of responsibility include payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash handling, account reconciliation, auditing, contract management, budget allocations, credit card PCI compliance, and financial reporting. Manages and directs development of financial reports and correspondence. Responsible for working with appropriate management team members to develop and update procedures and practices that align with university, state and management company requirements. Serves as the fixed asset coordinator for IVTSCC. Serves as the Department Head signature authority for IVTSCC and provides oversight of all purchases, payments and Banner HRIS entries. The director will facilitate the effective and efficient operation of all facets of the hotel while actively working to improve on the current models, processes and practices. Is responsible for managing in a manner consistent with the mission, operating philosophy, business standards and values of the property owners and managing entity.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business management or related field or significant relevant training and work experience.
- Significant professional level of experience in providing financial analysis, preparation of financial statements, and budget preparations.
- Working knowledge of all accounting operations to include Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, and Account reconciliation.
- Proficiency with spreadsheet and word processing applications.
- Proven record of accomplishment of meeting report deadlines on a consistent basis according to management company and university standard accounting practices.
- Experience in creating accurate daily and monthly financial reports.
- High degree of analytical skills.
- A proven history of managing multiple financial requirements in a timely manner.
- Experience with leave and payroll reporting systems.
- Master's degree in a related field.
- Comparable level of experience in the hospitality industry.
- Administrative hotel experience.
- Knowledge and experience with State, University, IVTSCC and Management Company financial policies and procedures.
- Experience and working knowledge of the lodging industries accepted accounting principles.
- Experience using hotel operating systems.
- Experience with Banner Finance and TimeClock.
- CPA or CHFE (Certified Hospitality Financial Executive).
Up to a budget maximum of $95,000
August 19, 2019
Core hours will be Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm. Additional hours will be required to meet monthly established deadlines and to periodically serve as the Manager on Duty.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.