Director of Comm & MarketingVirginia Tech
The Commonwealth Cyber Initiative (CCI) seeks applicants for a Communications Director position supporting the CCI Network Office. CCI is a $20 million per year initiative to connect public institutions of higher education across Virginia with industry partners to develop an ecosystem of research, innovation, commercialization, and learning that will establish Virginia as a world leader in cyber and cyberphysical system security. CCI consists of a Hub located in Northern Virginia, coordinated by Virginia Tech, as well as regional nodes across the Commonwealth, consisting of institutions of higher education, government and industry and anchored by public universities.
This position supports two organizations, CCI and the Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology.
Reporting to the Managing Director of the Commonwealth Cyber Initiative, the Director of Communications will plan, execute, and implement a comprehensive communications and marketing program for the Commonwealth Cyber Initiative, and align those activities with university wide communications, marketing, and branding initiatives. The Director is a critical member of the CCI Hub leadership team, spearheading efforts to promote CCI’s goals to be a recognized leader in cyber physical system security. The Director will support the communications needs for the Executive Director and the CCI student, partner, and researcher recruitment efforts.
The Director of Communications will also provide support to the Hume Center, where the director will support the communications program by drafting and disseminating content for internal and external audiences through social media, websites, and news releases, and align those activities with university-wide communication efforts. This position will be based in Northern Virginia.
- Master's degree in communications, journalism, or related field, or a bachelor's degree with related training and experience
- Skill in developing and implementing strategic communication plans, both collaboratively and independently
- Skill in using multiple communication platforms to develop and deliver content (e.g. institutional daily news and magazine, news wires and trade journals, social media, websites, conferences, etc.)
- Experience building relationships with diverse stakeholders at multiple institutions
- Skill in communications to include storytelling about: research, education, and profiles, and draft communication plans and stories, edit stories, draft strategic media list/pitch, publish stories in the a content management system, and draft coordinating social script
- Knowledge and understanding of brand management principles and how they apply to storytelling
- Skill in working in a fast-paced environment and delivery of high-quality content on a weekly basis
- Experience working with reporters, planning and executing press events
- Skill in media relations to include: developing and cultivating relationships with media, drafting media lists, tracking media results, and reporting
- Experience developing and implementing plans for showcasing video and photo on social and web platforms that showcases storytelling
- Experience serving as a spokesperson
- Experience motivating, developing, and managing staff
- Experience working in a deadline-intensive environment with competing priorities
- Experience working in a multicultural, scientific environment, and working with industry, scientific, and government organizations.
Commensurate with Experience
November 18, 2019
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.