Department Head/Professor (CY) Biological Systems EngineeringVirginia Tech
The Department of Biological Systems Engineering (BSE) at Virginia Tech is seeking applications and nominations for the position of Professor and Head of the Department of Biological Systems Engineering. The department head reports to the Dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (https://www.cals.vt.edu/), and works closely with the Dean of the College of Engineering (https://eng.vt.edu/). The successful candidate will lead a department representing a unique, multidisciplinary interface among biology, chemistry, fundamental engineering, and real-world applications.
The Department of Biological Systems Engineering (https://www.bse.vt.edu/) at Virginia Tech is internationally recognized for excellence in the areas of teaching, research, and extension. The department's faculty and staff are a highly effective team comprised of 17 tenure-track faculty, 13 research and teaching faculty, and nine professional staff. The department offers B.S, M.S., and Ph.D. academic degrees. The undergraduate program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET. Our faculty and students work and innovate across a continuum of systems, from natural to engineered, at the nano to global scale, with emphasis in watershed engineering, biotechnology, environmental health and food engineering.
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Providing leadership and vision to the department, advancing the goals of the land grant mission in teaching, research, extension, outreach, and international engagement;
- Fostering an environment of collegiality, teamwork, diversity, and respect for multicultural and multidisciplinary settings in the department and in the university community;
- Developing, communicating, and enforcing departmental policy guidelines with transparency, accountability, and equity;
- Encouraging innovative and effective teaching at all levels;
- Fostering relationships with alumni, leaders in industry, government, other universities, professional societies, the BSE advisory board, and other stakeholders for the advancement of the department;
- Advocating for departmental and faculty interests to college and university administrators;
- Managing human, financial, and physical resources;
- Assigning responsibilities, evaluating performance of faculty and staff, and implementing a strong mentoring program for faculty and staff in the department.
The qualifications of this position include:
April 30, 2019
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.