Communications Specialist - VT
The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI) is seeking an effective Communications Specialist. This position will help VTTI communicate its passion for saving lives, time, money and protecting the environment. A communications specialist is expected to be a strategic thinker with meticulous attention to detail, to work well under pressure, and to meet deadlines. The successful candidate for this position will develop and draft communication content and assist in the execution of a communications strategy in support of VTTI’s goals. It is expected that this person will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to multitask and adapt in a fast-paced environment. To ensure success, the communications specialist should be innovative, organized, and self-motivated, with a keen interest in driving strategic messages to key internal and external stakeholders. The Communication Specialist position will report to VTTI’s Associate Director for Marketing and Communications.
VTTI is one of six premier research institutes created by Virginia Tech to answer national challenges, it is continually advancing transportation through innovation and has affected public policy on national and international levels. It has grown from 15 faculty, staff, and students to become the second largest university-level transportation institute in the U.S. with approximately 300 employees. VTTI has effected significant changes in public policies for driver, passenger, and pedestrian safety and is advancing the design of vehicles and infrastructure to increase safety and reduce environmental impacts.
• Monitors reach and effectiveness of communication campaigns, projects, and initiatives
• Plans editorial content according to established goals and objectives
• Communicates with stakeholders to verify requests and identify editorial resources
• Writes, edits, and publishes content for various communication projects and marketing platforms to align with strategic initiatives and established communication campaigns
• Provides project management and execution of communications programs, initiatives, and tactical plans
• Support other indirect advancement initiatives
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, or a related field
• Experience preparing and executing communications campaigns
Strong writing and editing skills
• Evidence of effective communication across a variety of platforms
• Proven social media and networking expertise.
• Demonstrated record of professional communications with a broad audience through various forms of media
• Self-motivation and proven ability to manage multiple and competing priorities based on workflow and deadlines
• Content writing experience for all media platforms.
• Strategic and creative mindset
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Finalists may be asked to produce writing samples as part of the interview process
• Experience in communications and outreach for transportation related organizations
• Demonstrated ability to work productively with a variety of stakeholders in academia, industry, and government
• Experience publicizing events or organizations
• Experience with photography and videography
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisa Eichelberger at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.