The Middleware Cloud Engineer position will assist in creating, implementing, and managing the technical operation of cloud technology solutions for enterprise applications. Training in AWS and cloud technologies will be provided – the successful person should be a capable system administrator with enthusiasm for learning and desire to understand and develop expertise in cloud technologies, platforms and applications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field, or related equivalent experience
- Experience in business process analysis, including requirements gathering, analysis and documentation, and the application of information technology to satisfy business requirements
- Experience in design and delivery of comprehensive enterprise-level technology solutions
- Understanding of technology architecture and the complexities of enterprise-level applications
- A commitment to best practices with ability to define operational processes, implement DevOps, deployment checklists, and more
- Experience with cloud services, particularly AWS
- Experience with Linux/UNIX systems and the best practices for deploying applications to those stacks
- Experience developing or supporting solutions in Docker
- A good understanding of networking and core Internet protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, DNS, HTTP)
- Experience with various persistent storage technologies including a working knowledge of SQL, relational data stores, and key/value stores
- Practical knowledge and experience integrating with third-party APIs via HTTP/REST, CLI, or SDKs
- Experience developing software with object-oriented languages
- Experience using configuration, orchestration and automation tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc.
Commensurate on Experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Kessler at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.