Clinical Track Asst/Assoc Professor of Anesthesiology
The Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences of the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine announces a search to fill a full-time faculty clinical track position in Anesthesiology at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. The successful candidate will share service, teaching and emergency responsibilities with three other faculty anesthesiologists, one part time clinical instructor and one anesthesia resident. Scholarly responsibilities will vary based on the interest and qualification of the candidate and may include independent, collaborative or translational research.
• Primary job responsibility will be divided between the Veterinary Teaching Hospital and the Animal Cancer Care and Research Center (located in Roanoke, 50 minutes from Blacksburg).
• Service responsibilities include directing the clinical anesthesia service for both small and large animals, participating in didactic instruction in anesthesiology and related disciplines, supervising students in anesthesia and surgery labs, providing clinical instruction of professional students in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital and providing anesthesia training of interns, residents and graduate students from various disciplines.
• Service responsibilities will also include participation in emergency services. This responsibility will be shared with the anesthesiology resident and four faculty anesthesiologists.
• Teaching responsibilities will include participating in didactic instruction in anesthesiology and related disciplines, supervising students in anesthesia and surgery labs, providing clinical instruction of professional students in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital and providing anesthesia training of interns, residents and graduate students from various disciplines
• The anesthesiology service has a residency training/graduate degree program and this position will share responsibilities associated with program.
• The successful candidate will participate in continuing education and faculty governance.
• The successful candidate must be committed to excellent patient management, client service and clinical teaching.
• The successful candidate will also be expected to participate in general anesthesia service activities such as meetings, resident seminars, journal club and rounds, and overall resident clinical and didactic training.
• Research responsibilities will vary based on the interest and qualification of the candidate and may include collaborative or translational research. The successful candidate will be encouraged to work with ongoing research programs and contribute to the scholarly achievements of the department.
- DVM or equivalent foreign degree by the date of hire
- Completion of an American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia (ACVAA) approved residency program by the date of hire.
- Eligibility to sit for the certifying examination of the American College of Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia or Diplomate status by the date of hire.
- Must be eligible for a Virginia faculty veterinary license by the date of hire.
- Occasional travel to attend professional conferences and meetings
- Criminal Conviction Check Required
Rank and salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
July 15, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Keely Arbenz-Smith at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.