Bldg Code Rev Fire Protection
Licensed Professional Fire Protection Engineer to perform interdisciplinary reviews of plans and documents for large multifaceted structures at nationally recognized research university. Complex engineering and constructability analysis related to work covered by the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, NFPA 13, NFPA 72, Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code, and VA Tech Design Standards for new construction, renovations, and repairs of educational, commercial, industrial, one and two family dwellings, and other structures to assure compliance with the code and related regulations prior to permit issuance. Also conducts interdisciplinary inspections throughout all phases of construction to verify compliance with codes and related regulations during construction. Evaluate proposed alternative designs to determine whether equivalent measures are provided. Analysis and decisions require engineering and constructability expertise as they affect life safety. The work shall be performed in a complex and fast-paced setting requiring professional expertise, attention to details, and client assistance. Other related duties as required under the supervision of the University Building Official.
- Degree in Fire Protection Engineering, Fire Science, or similar field with equivalent level of training and experience.
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in Virginia as defined by the Code of Virginia
- Must have or capable of acquiring VA DHCD certification in the Virginia Code Academy, Commercial Building Plans Examiner, Commercial Building Inspector, Fire Protection Plans Examiner, Fire Protection Inspector and one or more trade plan review and inspections within 18 months of employment.
- Must have significant experience in fire protection engineering principles and practices of design, construction, and inspection process for large and small projects.
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Must have the ability to resolve issues in an amicable manner and promote a team approach to problem solving; and organizational skills to work in a fast paced and multitasking environment with variable priorities
- Must be able to travel to and from work sites on and off main campus within Virginia and perform on-site inspections. Site inspections require bending, climbing, pushing/pulling, and reaching. Lifting, standing, walking, and moving and handling up to 50 lbs.
- Work is both inside in the office and outside in the field. Must be able to climb ladders, scaffolds, maneuver in small spaces, and walk and perform work tasks on uneven surfaces. Must be able to safely move and handle up to 50 lbs. of tools or books
- Excellent communication skills
- Advanced degree in Fire Protection Engineering.
- Design, Inspection and Testing experience in Fire Alarm and or Fire Suppression Systems.
- Experience in Plan Review and Certification through the Department of Housing and Community Development
- Knowledge of the Virginia Tech Design Standards.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs
- Excellent Communication skills; ability to make group presentations
Commensurate with Experience
September 6, 2021
(Posting will remain active until the position is filled; preference will be given to submissions received prior to review date.)
Must be able to travel to and from work sites and perform on-site inspections. Site inspections require bending, climbing, pushing/pulling, reaching, lifting, standing, walking and moving and handling up to 50 lbs.
Must be able to maneuver in small spaces and walk and perform work tasks on uneven surfaces.
Must have a criminal background check.
Occasional overnight travel may be required.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.