Asst Director of OperationsVirginia Tech
Reporting to the Associate Director of Operations, this position is responsible for comprehensive management of financial aid eligibility at Virginia Tech, including verification, ISIR review, and federal, state, and institutional grant fund management. This position ensures daily and long-term processing goals are met. The incumbent is instrumental in developing and achieving operational goals for the successful delivery of federal, state, and institutional financial aid. Responsibilities include the management of day-to-day activities of financial aid eligibility specialists, for whom the incumbent has direct supervisory duties. Holds the staff accountable by assessing knowledge of program responsibilities, auditing work, and ensuring deadlines are met. Works with other Assistant Directors of Operations to coordinate and manage staff workload and provide feedback to staff. Maintains current knowledge relevant to position responsibilities. Analyzes data; researches applicable regulations and best practices; provides recommendations to Associate Directors and the Director of Financial Aid; and develops, provides, and documents training of staff on processing functions. Ensures compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations; and adherence to university policies. Communicates accurately, effectively, and professionally with students, parents, and campus constituents. Counsels the same through financial aid processes. Conducts recruitment, training, supervision, professional development, and evaluation of assigned personnel. Assists the Associate Directors and Director with special projects, as needed. Serves on university committees, as assigned. Performs other duties as assigned, including engaging in outreach to high schools, students, parents and others, as appropriate, regarding financial aid options.
· Master’s Degree and related work experience or a Bachelor’s degree and significant related experience or training that may equate to an advanced degree;
· Progressive experience in student financial aid;
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office products;
· Possess a high energy level and strong work ethic with a commitment to continuous improvement in a dynamic environment that strives to exceed expectations;
· Ability to motivate staff and manage a complex, high volume operation with a high degree of accuracy;
· Demonstrated use of effective problem solving; organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills;
· Experience with Title IV financial aid;
· Ability to interpret laws, regulations, and policies and procedures; apply sound decision making;
· Successfully work cooperatively with a wide range of constituents;
· Ability and willingness to present at outreach events—both on- and off-campus;
· Ability to effectively collect and analyze data; draw conclusions, develop recommendations; and, implement, as needed;
· Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends, as needed.
· Master’s Degree in a related field;
· Strong supervisory experience;
· High level working knowledge of Title IV and VSFAP regulations;
· High level working knowledge of student eligibility and verification requirements;
· Strong command of financial aid processing systems; including Banner or other student information systems, COD, CPS, and NSLDS.
Commensurate with a budget maximum of $47,000
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.