Associate DirectorVirginia Tech
The Commonwealth Cyber Initiative (CCI) is a state-funded $20M/year effort calling on higher education institutions and industry to build an ecosystem of cyber-related research, education, and engagement in Virginia.
CCI will create a Commonwealth-wide ecosystem of innovation excellence in CPS with an emphasis on trust and security. CCI will ensure Virginia is recognized as a global leader in secure CPS and in the digital economy more broadly for decades to come by supporting world-class research at the intersection of data, autonomy, and security; promoting technology commercialization and entrepreneurship; and preparing future generations of innovators and research leaders. CCI will build on Virginia’s strong base of research excellence, innovative and diverse higher education system, vibrant ecosystem of venture capital investment and high-growth firms, and unparalleled density of cybersecurity talent.
CCI must address two challenges: today’s workforce gap and tomorrow’s economy. They are different facets of the same problem and opportunity. To focus only on today’s workforce challenge is to miss an opportunity to diversify the economy. Today’s assessment is a look in the rear-view mirror. Conversely, to focus only on the future economy is to ignore the fact that the basis for that economy is threatened by the workforce gap.
Commonwealth Cyber Initiative, is seeking an Associate Director of Business Development who will be based in Northern Virginia and be responsible for identifying, nurturing, and growing industry partnerships of all types for CCI.
The Associate Director of Business Development will serve as the primary interface between a defined portfolio of industry partners and CCI, as well as support partnerships and engagement as they relate to key strategic activities of the initiative. This person will identify, nurture and expand relationships through research-based partnerships, connections to research centers, institutes and programs, faculty expertise, facilities and equipment, facilitated working sessions and co-creation activities, fundraising, facilitation of student hiring and internships, professional training, advisory board opportunities, networking events and other CCI activities and programs in response to industry partner needs and interests.
Reporting to the Executive Director of CCI, the Associate Director of Business Development will:
- Nurture and expand relationships with prospective industry partners, often with senior leaders, serving as the primary point of contact for a portfolio of corporations.
- Work closely with a team in the CCI Hub and across the Network comprised of faculty, program managers, and staff to engage industry partners, making links between company interests/market needs and university opportunities, research, and students.
- Lend industry, market, and/or technical domain analysis, insight, and experience (principally related to cybersecurity, as well as adjacent topics including techno-policy, 5G networks, autonomous systems, IoT, and other related disciplines) to identify possible opportunities and value drivers to inform and support cultivation and engagement strategies.
- Identify and shape big ideas in cybersecurity and associated value propositions to create platforms for partnerships that include multiple industry partners, as well as state and federal partners.
- Develop intelligence around and connections to CCI faculty and research interests, capabilities, and activities connections, identifying opportunities that have industry/market relevance; organize working sessions, and effectively connect and shepherd the relationships.
- Identify, shape, and solicit corporate opportunities (including philanthropic) through a variety of mechanisms, including organizing working sessions and co-creation activities with members of the faculty and staff.
- Schedule and host corporate visits to CCI campuses that reflect the breadth of CCI offerings across the network, driving toward tangible opportunities and outcomes.
- Maintain knowledge of technology, research, and recruiting needs of industry, as well as of specific firms.
- Assist in crafting grant applications, proposals, white papers, status reports and corporate report cards.
- Lead the formulation of collaboration strategies and opportunities, as well as research contract and gift agreement review and processing.
- Assist in developing marketing initiatives and stewardship programs with corporate partners.
- Bachelor’s degree and significant sales/industry experience; or master’s or other advanced degree.
- Industry and/or university experience including computer science and engineering, data sciences, cybersecurity, cyber-physical systems, autonomy, information technology, and related domains.
- Experience in consultative or technical sales/marketing, business development, client management, business/research strategy, and/or innovation/partnerships function.
- Track record of professionalism, with strong communication skills and ability to work with and support a wide range of constituents, e.g., clients, customers, teams, donors, and volunteers.
- Ability to analyze data (e.g., market, technical, customer) and lend technical expertise to establish priorities, as well as develop and implement strategies with increasing complexity.
- Evidence as a self-starter who can work independently, and be a team contributor in a complex and fast-paced organization.
- Willingness to travel on a frequent basis.
- Evidence of business/revenue growth and/or partnership development in a technical sales/marketing capacity.
- Evidence of productive relationships and facilitation with administrators, key business leaders, faculty, staff, institutional boards, volunteers, and/or donors.
- Previous business development/strategy experience developing progressively complex strategies and using data analytics, technical/domain knowledge and information, and competitive/market intelligence to guide decision making.
Commensurate with experience
November 19, 2019
Must have an acceptable and safe driving record.
Regional and national travel required which may include overnights and weekends. Must have the ability and willingness to travel utilizing standard, commercial, and/or personal modes of transportation.
Reports to the Executive Director of CCI, with input from the Executive Director of LINK, Virginia Tech’s Center for Industry Partnerships.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.