Analyst Sr General AccountingVirginia Tech
This position performs various reconciliations and prepares related worksheets and entries for the General Accounting section of the Controller’s office. Monthly reconciliations include various University bank accounts (General Disbursement, Payroll, Perkins, Health Professions Student Loan, and Student Insurance Settlement); Virginia Tech Foundation billing, extension, various payroll liability funds, various local funds and the cash clearing account for cash receipts entered daily by the Bursar’s office. Semi-monthly responsibilities include Federal drawdowns and related schedules, journal entry for the transfer of system revenue collections and withdrawals. Daily complete a cash reconciliation to verify money collected by the Bursar’s office and reported to the state and prepare all related entries. Various quarterly reconciliations and reviews and various deposits and entries.
Success in the role requires the following soft skills:
- Demonstrated initiative to independently plan, organize and prioritize workload.
- Ability to perform high volume of very detailed transactions.
- Ability to identify discrepancies, analyze and resolve problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with variety of people.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic bookkeeping, accounting principles and methods
- Experience performing reconciliations
- Proficiency using software such as Microsoft Word and Excel
- Associate's degree in accounting or equivalent training or experience
- Experience with query tools such as Microsoft Access or SAS
- Experience with a large automated accounting system such as Banner Finance
- Experience with large bank accounts
Pay Band 3
October 31, 2019
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.