Alternative Transportation Assistant
The Alternative Transportation Assistant provides customer service to Alternative Transportation Center customers. The position mainly instructs customers in bicycle maintenance and repair and answers questions about alternative transportation programs offered by Virginia Tech. The Assistant occasionally works the customer service desk when needed, and should to be willing to answer phone calls and respond to voicemail to communicate with customers.
The incumbent is responsible for gathering data and preparing basic promotional material and social media content. In addition, the position helps maintain the campus Fit-It Stations, performs similar tasks at various campus and community events, such as student orientations, health fairs, etc. The Assistant is also responsible for light custodial work.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
• Demonstrated experience working on bicycles.
• Problem solving skills.
• Strong customer service skills, including the ability to resolve customer issues efficiently and tactfully.
• Experience completing documentation and paperwork neatly and accurately.
• Positive, enthusiastic, and generous energy and communication in all interactions with team members and customers.
• Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends to meet the needs of the department.
• The following bicycle mechanic skills: adjustments, basics of wheel truing, flat tire repair, brake pad replacement, brake cables and housing replacement, shift cables and housing replacement, and adjustment of derailleurs for proper shifting.
• Experience creating, curating, and managing social media content/accounts.
• Experience training and/or teaching others in a proactive environment.
July 21, 2021
(Posting will remain active until the position is filled; preference will be given to submissions received prior to review date.)
• Ability to move and handle up to 30 lbs.
• Ability to perform repetitive motion tasks, sitting, and standing for long periods of time.
• Must have a criminal background check.
• Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions.
• Must be able to work evenings and weekends throughout the year as needed.
• Schedule varies between the hours of 9:00am-6:00pm, Monday - Friday to meet the needs of the department.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.