Administrative & Operations Assistant
Reporting to the Director of Student Athlete Academic Support Services (SAASS), the Administrative & Operations Assistant will manage all fiscal and business management for the SAASS office, oversee appointment and payroll process for our wage employees, and all administrative and operations support for the unit.
- Provide fiscal management support for SAASS office.
- Manage P-Card and oversee all supplemental purchases for student-athletes.
- Track and record all monthly SAASS expenditures.
- Pay invoices/bills promptly in accordance with the Virginia Tech Prompt Pay Standards.
- Coordinate professional development travel arrangements, process all travel expenses and reimbursements for SAASS staff in TEM system.
- Alert Director to potential problems or opportunities related to unit budget to support effective fiscal management.
- Anticipate and build for future needs, budget planning and purchasing.
- Facilitate monthly meeting with SAASS Director for budget reconciliation and expenditure updates; provide updates on all accounts and note special areas of concern.
- Notify Director of actions that need to take place within platforms (ex: Banner/HokieMart/Page Up, etc.) on a daily basis.
Business Practice Support
- Provide business support for SAASS office in accordance with University policy in the following areas:
- Emergency Management point of contact
- COOP Coordinator
- EAP Management
- Key Control
- Fixed Assets and Surplus
- Compliance with all audit processes
- Maintaining confidential files and records, in accordance with University policy.
- Working knowledge of University and State policies and procedures.
- Provide administrative support for SAASS office.
- Manage SAASS DocuSign account.
- Input information for position searches into Page Up, complete HR transactions in collaboration with the Director of HR and HR Consultant, coordinate interview travel and day-of schedules, and assist with the on-boarding process for new employees.
- Document all leave requests and enter monthly leave reports online for all SAASS staff.
- Manage staff meeting minutes.
- Ensure office files are up to date and maintain accurate filing systems in accordance with university policy.
- Check office inventory of all supplies on hand monthly.
- Maintain departmental directories and monthly/yearly task calendars.
- Support for meetings and calendaring for director and support staff.
- Cover reception for SAASS; greet all visitors, answer phone calls.
- Ensure front desk and staff workroom area is tidy and neat.
- Report all office maintenance needs to Athletics facilities staff promptly for repair.
- Other office tasks as needed, including but not limited to ensuring mail is picked up and distributed, office equipment is functional, making copies, maintaining manuals, preparing materials for events, helping to facilitate information, completion of special projects as assigned.
- Input information for wage positions in Banner within 48 hours of hire.
- Process payroll for wage employees, ensuring that hours are accurately documented and entered; and funding sources are properly allotted.
- Keep accurate files containing hard copies of all reports with appropriate signatures for each payroll period.
- Maintain accurate & current roster of wage employees, appointing new hires and terminating those no longer working.
Previous experience working with highly confidential and/or sensitive information.
Previous experience working with multiple budgets and allocation of expenses to those budgets.
Previous experience handling inventory and making decisions regarding purchases.
Demonstrated computer skills in word processing applications, database management, electronic spreadsheets, email and the Internet.
Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively for performing multiple tasks.
Ability to work in a fast paced, highly engaged, and diverse workplace.
Ability to embrace a culture of change and continuous improvement.
Ability to work in an environment with diverse individuals at all levels of the organization including faculty, staff, administrators, students in a positive and professional manner.
Experience with HokieMart, Banner, PageUp, Time Clock Plus, and DocuSign.
Knowledge of FERPA regulations.
Knowledge of University and State policies and procedures.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisha Farrier at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.