ADA Accom & Outreach SpecVirginia Tech
The Office for Equity and Accessibility at Virginia Tech is seeking candidates for a full-time ADA Accommodation and Outreach Specialist. This position reports to the Director for ADA/504 Compliance and Accessibility Services in the Office for Equity and Accessibility. The ADA Accommodation and Outreach Specialist facilitates the interactive process under Title I of the ADA; provides case management for Title I requests for reasonable employment accommodation under the ADA; provides ADA outreach and training to the university community; acts as liaison to Accessible Technologies and the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities; responds to physical and programmatic accessibility issues working directly with departments responsible for implementation of solutions; provides direct consultation and assistance to university committees and work groups as it relates to the ADA; provides consultation to visitors regarding accessibility issues; manages, monitors, and responds to barrier reports; assists the Director with project management as appropriate; initiates, directs, and manages ADA related special projects; organizes, coordinates, and manages ADA related events and activities.
The successful candidate must have the ability to manage highly confidential information while engaging with a diverse clientele with varied perspectives. The successful candidate must have the ability to handle numerous tasks and balance a varied workload in a fast-paced environment with strong interpersonal skills. The successful candidate must have the proven ability to identify solutions, generate options, conclusions, and/or alternative approaches when problem solving.
- Master’s degree in psychology, human resources, business, rehabilitation counseling, or a related field
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities
- Experience with appropriate handling of confidential information including health related information
- Working knowledge of the ADA and other disability related laws
- Experience with managing event coordination
- Professional work experience in higher education
- Professional work experience with facilitating the interactive process
- Professional work experience providing consultation to employees and supervisors regarding the interactive accommodation process
- Professional work experience providing training and outreach
- Professional work experience interpreting and applying federal and state laws applicable to institutions of higher education
- Professional work experience interacting with individuals with disabilities, confidential protected health information, and maintaining confidential health information consistent with federal, state, and local regulations and laws
- Professional work experience with organizing and managing events
September 30, 2019
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.