Accounts Payable Scanning SpecVirginia Tech
Disbursement documents flow from university departments to the Accounts Payable section of the Controller's Office. Accounts Payable is responsible for researching and interpreting policies pertaining to university expenditures and then training university personnel so they can use them to make payments to university vendors and to answer questions from vendors about the payments. This section pre-audits these documents in accordance with state and university policy and procedures and makes decisions regarding the payment of the invoices or if additional support (documentation) is needed to support the business purpose of the public funds expenditure. This section also handles special transactions such as foreign draft requests and electronic wiring of funds to vendors.
The accounts payable scanning specialist is responsible for ensuring the integrity of the imaging system for accounts payable documents. The primary responsibilities of this position are:
- accurate indexing of the images for an estimated volume of over 176,000 documents annually;
- auditing and investigating accounting payment documents including interpreting and applying policies and procedures;
- interacting and communicating with the academic and administrative departments regarding online images and processed vouchers;
- opening, sorting, processing, and distributing office mail; and
- providing backup support for related positions as needed and other duties as assigned.
- Administrative and/or accounting experience
- Experience with web-based applications
- Proficient utilizing various computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail and databases
- Working experience with document imaging/scanning hardware and software and familiarity with creating electronic copies of documents in a high volume environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to provide customer service in a courteous manner and work effectively with diverse groups of people
- Fiscal/administrative assistant experience in a high volume business environment
- Working knowledge of the university Banner Finance system or similar relational database software
- Knowledge of or experience with HokieMart
September 6, 2019
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.