Accounts Payable AnalystVirginia Tech
The Accounts Payable section of the Controller's Office is responsible for researching and interpreting policies pertaining to university expenditures and then training university personnel so they can use them to make payments to university vendors and to answer questions from vendors about the payments. Disbursement documents flow from university departments to the Accounts Payable section of the Controller's Office. This section preaudits these documents in accordance with state and university policy and procedures and makes decisions regarding the payment of the invoices or if additional support (documentation) is necessary to support the business purpose of the public funds expenditure. This section also handles special transactions such as foreign draft requests and electronic wiring of funds to vendors.
The Accounts Payable Analyst is responsible:
- for auditing and investigating accounting payment documents including interpreting and applying policies and procedures;
- interacting and communicating with academic and administrative departments regarding policies and procedures;
- entering invoices to the Banner Finance accounting system using online data entry forms;
- ensuring data is processed in an accurate and timely manner;
- ensuring electronic invoices interfacing from HokieMart to Banner are reconciled timely and any errors are resolved promptly;
- batching and balancing enclosure checks on a daily basis;
- providing backup support for related positions as needed; and
- other duties as assigned.
Success in the role requires the following soft skills:
- Ability to process high volume of data accurately and for extended periods
- Ability to read, understand, and apply complex state and university policies and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to perform basic business math calculations and to use a 10key calculator essential
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to provide customer service in a courteous manner and work effectively with diverse groups of people
- Familiarity with accounting practices
- Proficient utilizing various computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail and databases
- Fiscal/administrative assistant experience in a high volume business environment
- Demonstrated data entry experience
- Experience working with accounting principles
- Experience using automated workflow and imaging systems
- Knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Finance systems such as Banner Finance, electronic procurement system such as SciQuest/HokieMart
- Knowledge of state or university accounting procedures
September 30, 2019
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.