Academic AdvisorVirginia Tech
The Virginia Tech School of Neuroscience is currently seeking an Academic Advisor to join our rapidly growing department. This position serves as the main point of contact for undergraduate students within the School. Responsibilities of the position include academic advising, monitoring students’ progress, registration and scheduling, orientation, graduation planning, data and enrollment management, and assisting students with career planning. The academic advisor assists with developing a student recruitment plan, student communication and recruitment materials, website input, social media management, and other special projects as assigned. Responsibilities also include special events planning and coordination. The successful candidate will have a professional, service-oriented, how-can-I-help-you attitude to support program operations.
- Previous experience in academic advising, career advising, or student affairs with a
diverse undergraduate and/or graduate population in a college or university setting;
- Advanced computer skills, particularly related to data management software;
- Strong computer skills in electronic file management, word processing, and spreadsheets;
- Experience in creating, editing, and maintaining large databases;
- Ability to manage confidential files and materials;
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as be flexible and creative in finding solutions for problems;
- Previous program management or event coordination;
- Very strong organizational skills, demonstrable from previous professional activities;
- Excellent communications, organizational and analytical skills, and the ability to interact
comfortably and respectfully with all individuals in a diverse multicultural environment.
- Master’s degree in Science, Counseling, Education, Student Development or related field,
or equivalent training and/or work experience field from an accredited college or
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures, particularly related to registration, class
scheduling, degree and graduation requirements;
- Experience with large relational databases such as Banner and HokieSpa;
- Knowledge of federal rules and regulations (FERPA);
- Experience facilitating group sessions and making presentations;
- Experience with social media platforms.
Commensurate with Experience
Review of applicants will begin October 4, 2019.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.