Customer Engagement Specialist
Customer Engagement Specialist
Innovation allows an organization to make the most of every dollar spent. At Virginia's Community Colleges System (VCCS), our compelling mission, our ambitious strategic plan and our fiscal realities challenge us to ensure that community college resources are maximized for the priority of student success and credential completion.
Nestled between the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, the VCCS Shared Services Center is centrally located to all 23 colleges in the VCCS, 43 miles from Blacksburg, VA, and a four hour drive from Washington, D.C. A vital part of the ever-growing Roanoke Valley, Daleville is a haven for tourists and residents alike. Within an hour's drive are the breathtaking Smith Mountain Lake, world-famous Appalachian Trail, and many other outdoor activities, including golfing, biking, and hiking. The thriving Historic City Market in downtown Roanoke and the Daleville Town Center and Performance Pavilion also host farmers markets, community and cultural events, and festivals throughout the year.
The VCCS Shared Services Center is an innovation strategy to advance the priority of student success, reduce the administrative burden on individual colleges, consolidate transaction-based functions, create economies of scale and improve backroom process efficiency. This work allows the VCCS to better focus resources on the students - helping them start their educational journeys, persist, and succeed.
The Customer Engagement Specialist will be a key member of the SSC team, responsible for tracking and responding to external (i.e., vendors, other agencies, etc.) and internal (i.e., colleges, employees, staff, etc.) customers' inquiries. The specialist will be responsible for:
• Answering all incoming phone calls from end-users, vendors, and business partners
• Ensuring excellent service with external and internal customers
• Exhibiting strong problem solving skills
• Participating in continuous improvement initiatives
To help improve Customer Engagement performance and enhance coaching abilities, all Customer Engagement Specialist call types are recorded, including inbound, outbound, and internal calls.
The goals of call recording are as follows:
• Regulatory compliance
• Capture lost details
• Review performance of Customer Engagement Specialists
• Improve skills of agents (and quality of calls)
• Deliver a better customer experience
Recorded calls that are scored/evaluated will be reviewed with the Customer Engagement Specialist individually.
• Ability to multi-task, set priorities, and manage time effectively.
• Ability to provide a high level of professionalism.
• Ability to work as a team with other members of the group to collaborate solutions.
• Ability to provide attention to detail.
• Ability to be resourceful and proactive in dealing with issues that may arise.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong problem solving skills.
• Good organization and time management skills.
• Efficient typing and data entry skills.
• Skill and ability to work in a fast paced, highly dynamic environment.
• Strong phone skills, including soft skills and active listening skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to communicate cross-functionally across all levels. High levels of integrity and issue resolution ownership.
• Customer focus and adaptability to different personality types.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Considerable experience in a customer support role
• Experience utilizing multiple computer programs simultaneously
• Experience working in an administrative position handling several assignments at one time
• Experience researching and resolving complex requests from customers
• Experience answering and directing phone calls
• Customer service experience in state government and/or higher education
• Multi-year work experience in a contact center or call center environment
• Experience with Salesforce or related ticket repositories
• Process improvement experience
• Experience in a start-up environment
Hybrid telework and sign-on bonus available!
Sponsorship will not be offered for this position.
Special Instructions to Applicants
In support of the Commonwealth's commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx, or call DARS at 800- 552-5019.
The selected candidate's offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth's Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EOE employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.