Innovation allows an organization to make the most of every dollar spent. At Virginia's Community Colleges System (VCCS), our compelling mission, our ambitious strategic plan and our fiscal realities challenge us to ensure that community college resources are maximized for the priority of student success and credential completion.
Nestled between the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, the VCCS Shared Services Center is centrally located to all 23 colleges in the VCCS, 43 miles from Blacksburg, VA, and a four hour drive from Washington, D.C. A vital part of the ever-growing Roanoke Valley, Daleville is a haven for tourists and residents alike. Within an hour's drive are the breathtaking Smith Mountain Lake, world-famous Appalachian Trail, and many other outdoor activities, including golfing, biking, and hiking. The thriving Historic City Market in downtown Roanoke and the Daleville Town Center and Performance Pavilion also host farmers markets, community and cultural events, and festivals throughout the year.
The VCCS Shared Services Center is an innovation strategy to advance the priority of student success, reduce the administrative burden on individual colleges, consolidate transaction-based functions, create economies of scale and improve backroom process efficiency. This work allows the VCCS to better focus resources on the students – helping them start their educational journeys, persist, and succeed.
Under the strategic direction of the Senior Manager for Human Resources and Finance, oversees the Finance Operations, Payroll Operations, and Human Resource Operations services provided to the 23 colleges, System Office, and Shared Services including but not limited to accounts payable, travel and expense reimbursement, payroll, onboarding, applicant tracking as well as time and leave. Responsible for the planning, implementation, and direction of all fiscal and accounting policy and procedures, payroll policy and procedures and HR operations policies and procedures for the SSC. Position manages via high performing service line managers, providing leadership, supervision, performance management, and development opportunities to operational line mangers. Implements SSC strategic objectives and initiatives.
• Significant knowledge of Fiscal, Payroll and Human Resource policies.
• Considerable knowledge of State and Federal laws related to employment.
• Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• Demonstrated knowledge to document and implement internal control structures.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage staff in development of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, take initiative, handle multiple competing priorities, and attend to detail while maintaining a big-picture perspective.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and implement policies and procedures for areas of oversight.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment with matrix reporting relationships and multiple and varied functional customers.
• Ability to express thoughts clearly verbally, in writing, and if applicable, through presentations.
• Ability to develop, execute, measure, and continuously improve areas of oversight.
• Ability to use the computer hardware and software required for the job.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
• Ability to build working relationships to solve problems and achieve common goals.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to communicate effectively with leadership regarding status and needs of their area.
• Ability to organize and coordinate projects involving numerous people.
• Ability to travel within Virginia and within the United States as needed – approximately 10%.
• Proven competency in collaboration and teamwork.
• Energetic, resourceful, and self-directed.
• Willingness and desire to stay on the forefront of Finance, Payroll and Human Resource Operations best practices.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Proven expertise in management and supervisory and leadership practices.
• Expertise in MS Office products, specifically Excel.
Preferred/Highly Desirable KSA's:
• Working knowledge of DOA, DHRM, VCCS policies and CAPP manual.
• Working knowledge of VCCS personnel and fiscal policies.
• Working knowledge with AIS/HRMS/PeopleSoft functionality and/or ERP systems.
• Knowledge of PeopleSoft/ Oracle systems.
• Knowledge of state and federal pay practices and regulations.
• Knowledge of process improvement techniques.
• Comprehensive knowledge of fiscal operations management and accounting.
• Experience managing high performing operational line managers at a shared services or call center.
• Proven experience in a start-up or dynamic environment.
• Previous work experience in corporate or public accounting, and state government.
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Management from an accredited institution; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Multi-year experience in managing shared services or operations environment in one or more of the following service lines: Finance, Payroll, Human Resources
• Multi-year experience leading and/or supervising operations managers or large teams
• Graduate degree in Accounting, Finance or Management
• CPA, SHRM-SCP, SPHR
• Project Management experience and/or PMP
• Experience in higher education and/or state government, or large corporate environment
• Experience in a shared services center environment
• Six Sigma, Lean, or similar training
• Experience with multi-state taxation
• Experience with benefits administration
Special Instructions to Applicants
In support of the Commonwealth's commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx, or call DARS at 800- 552-5019.
Hybrid telework and sign-on bonus available.
The selected candidate's offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth's Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.