Human Resource Operations Technician
Human Resource Operations Technician
Innovation allows an organization to make the most of every dollar spent. At Virginia's Community Colleges System (VCCS), our compelling mission, our ambitious strategic plan and our fiscal realities challenge us to ensure that community college resources are maximized for the priority of student success and credential completion.
Nestled between the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, the VCCS Shared Services Center is centrally located to all 23 colleges in the VCCS, 43 miles from Blacksburg, VA, and a four hour drive from Washington, D.C. A vital part of the ever-growing Roanoke Valley, Daleville is a haven for tourists and residents alike. Within an hour's drive are the breathtaking Smith Mountain Lake, world-famous Appalachian Trail, and many other outdoor activities, including golfing, biking, and hiking. The thriving Historic City Market in downtown Roanoke and the Daleville Town Center and Performance Pavilion also host farmers markets, community and cultural events, and festivals throughout the year.
The VCCS Shared Services Center is an innovation strategy to advance the priority of student success, reduce the administrative burden on individual colleges, consolidate transaction-based functions, create economies of scale and improve backroom process efficiency. This work allows the VCCS to better focus resources on the students – helping them start their educational journeys, persist, and succeed.
Reporting to the HR Operations Supervisor, position provides entry-level technical service in one or more functional areas of human resource management. This position will work with onboarding and offboarding systems to successfully perform and verify life-cycle initiation and termination processes. Additionally, this position will execute and ensure accurate and updated data is maintained in multiple HRIS systems and appropriately documented and reported. Other duties as assigned.
• Basic math, professional telephone etiquette, and standard business communications
• Computer systems, HRIS systems, and Microsoft Office programs
• State and federal hiring practices and regulations
• Knowledge of process improvement techniques
• Computer expertise with knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
• Strong verbal communication, writing, and proofreading/editing
• Attention to detail
• Organizational and follow up skills to ensure processes are conducted smoothly and timely
• Advanced customer service
• Analytical and critical thinking
• Proven problem-solver
• Track and complete several projects or tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
• Work in a fast-paced environment with multiple customers and priorities
• Apply knowledge of human resource principles and practices, including federal and state laws and regulations applicable to work
• Provide accurate and timely analysis of a variety of data
• Work flexible hours as needed
• Travel to System Office or other colleges for training and meetings
• Produce documents and reports as needed
• Organize and maintain employment files
• Ensure user data is accurate and updated in multiple HRIS systems in a timely manner
• Maintain confidential information in a secure and sensitive manner
• Analyze issues and recommend actions
• Work independently, as well as a team member
• Work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
• Associate degree in Business or related field, or equivalent education and work experience
• Previous experience handling multiple administrative tasks/assignments at one time
• Customer service experience
• Functional knowledge of HRIS systems
• Experience with MS Office
• Experience with DHRM hiring policies and procedures
• Shared services or call center experience
• Experience working in a higher education environment
• Process improvement experience
• Experience with SharePoint
• PHR, SPHR and/or SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP
Special Instructions to Applicants
In support of the Commonwealth's commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx , or call DARS at 800- 552-5019.
Link to posting: https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/60890
Hybrid telework and sign-on bonus available
Sponsorship will not be offered for this position.
The selected candidate's offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth's Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EOE employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing, and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.