Position Number: 27000348
Shared Services Center
Work Location: Daleville, VA
Role Title: Finan Svcs Spec I
Role Code: 19131-SW
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 am-5 pm
Hybrid Telework Options Available
Process payroll through identified processes for the Shared Services Center customers, ensuring timely and accurate payment and required withholding. The payroll specialist must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment to help identify process improvements and efficiencies in Payroll Operations. This includes contributing, planning, organizing, and processing to ensure all payroll support functions are processed timely and accurately while all audit requirements are met. Ability to work cross functionally within the department. Remaining informed on all payroll projects, Payroll Service Level Agreement, and updates as directed by the Payroll Manager, IRS, and Department of Accounts Payroll Bulletins.
May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
• Comprehensive knowledge of Internal Revenue Code, Regulations, and Rulings regarding income subject to inclusion in gross income, withholding, tax deposit and payment, and wage and tax reporting requirements.
• Comprehensive knowledge of fiscal operations management and accounting.
• Working knowledge of payroll best practices including compliance, federal, and state regulations.
• Retrieving and manipulating data via online access in database files thru various software applications.
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
• Excellent interpersonal skills for relationship building with our customers.
• Intermediate skills in using personal computer applications and Microsoft Office products, including proficiency in Excel.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Excellent mathematical aptitude and numerical skills.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and be independently accountable for meeting deadlines timely and accurately.
• Ability to organize and manage workflow to ensure payroll tasks are processed accurately and timely.
• Ability to deal sensitively with confidential information.
• Ability to work independently as well as a team member.
• Willingness and ability to be flexible and to grow professionally as the position changes.
• Practices ethical behavior and demonstrates and supports the SSC values and mission.
• Remains optimistic and supportive of established procedures while looking for process improvements and efficiencies.
• Associate's degree with major studies in business, or equivalent combination of training and relevant work experience.
• Comprehensive experience and knowledge of Internal Revenue Code, Regulations, and Rulings regarding income subject to inclusion in gross income, withholding, tax deposit and payment, and wage and tax reporting requirements.
• Intermediate level experience with Microsoft Office, specifically with Excel.
• Multi-year experience in payroll.
• Experience or knowledge of multi-state taxation.
• Payroll experience in state government or higher education.
• Experience with healthcare, retirement, or other benefit reconciliations.
• Experience with HRMS, CIPPS, and Peoplesoft/Oracle systems.
• Certifications: Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) or Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
Agency Website: www.ssc.vccs.edu
Background Check Statement Disclaimer:
The selected candidate's offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth's Statement of Economic Interest.
For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.