Contracts & Purchasing Manager
Contracts & Purchasing Manager
This high-level management position is responsible for operationally leading and directing the Contracting and Purchasing operations of a large, diverse and complex procurement program, the VCCS Shared Service Center. This position supports and serves as backup for the Senior Manager, Procurement Operations.
The SSC Contracting and Procurement teams procure a high-volume and significantly complex diversity of goods and services for the statewide Virginia Community College System, which consists of 23 colleges, the System Office and the Shared Services Center.
• Serves as a backup for the Senior Manager, Procurement Operations, on all matters.
• Provides significant input and direction on procurement-related strategic planning and initiatives, including preparations for Level II authority, major systems upgrades, staffing and organization, and major process improvement activities;
• Provides strategic customer support through direct engagement with college presidents, governance bodies, and state agencies to ensure regulatory compliance and agreed service levels;
• Provides leadership and mentorship, organizes and prioritizes teamwork, and oversees a team of approximately 25 with 4 direct reports (3 Strategic Sourcing Officer Leads and a Purchasing Supervisor) and 21 indirect reports. These teams provide the bulk of SSC's Procurement Operations service activity.
• Performs managerial/supervisory activities including monitoring, reviewing and evaluating performance of subordinate staff.
• Responsible for all VCCS solicitation requirements, resulting contracts and the management of the portfolio of term contracts. Over 200 solicitation requirements are typically processed each year.
• Responsible for all daily, high volume transactional purchases Over 50,000 transactional purchases are typically processed each year.
• Analyzes market data to make appropriate sourcing decisions.
• Ensures that all purchases are performed accurately and timely and in accordance with applicable VCCS and state policies and applicable laws.
• Employs best business practices to continuously improve performance, compliance, efficiency and effectiveness of procurement team.
• Assists the Senior Manager, Procurement Operations to streamline and resolve operations-related procurement issues.
• Extensive knowledge of governmental procurement principles, procurement discipline, best value procurement practices, procurement law and contract law
• Ability to interpret procurement-related law and policies, apply that knowledge, participate in the development of related policies and procedures, and transfer that knowledge to others
• Extensive expertise in complex procurement of supplies, equipment, and professional and non-professional services
• Extensive use and understanding of automated procurement systems (e-procurement)
• Ability to analyze market data to make appropriate sourcing decisions
• Ability to effectively lead or supervise staff and to develop staff knowledge, skills, and abilities
• Ability to develop and comprehend highly complex solicitation and contract documents
• Ability to exercise sound judgment, take initiative, handle multiple competing priorities, solve problems, and attend to detail while maintaining a big-picture perspective
• Ability to think creatively, objectively, and to work to continuously improve business processes and to transfer those skills to others
• Ability to build working relationships to solve problems and achieve common goals
• Ability to provide exceptional customer service to internal and external customers in a professional manner and to transfer those attributes to others
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment with matrix reporting relationships and multiple and diverse functional customers
• Ability to express thoughts clearly verbally, in writing, and through presentations
• Ability to develop, execute, measure and continuously improve procurement effectiveness
• Energetic, resourceful, and self-directed
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Willingness to stay on the forefront of procurement best practices
• Ability to use the computer hardware and software required for the job, including
• Expertise in MS Office products and demonstrated expertise to perform data analysis using Excel
• Ability to travel within Virginia and within the United States as needed – approximately 10%
Preferred/Highly Desirable Qualifications:
• Working knowledge of Commonwealth of Virginia procurement policies (VPPA, APSPM, etc.)
• Working knowledge of VCCS procurement policies
• Working knowledge of eVA (state procurement system)
• Working knowledge with AIS/PeopleSoft functionality
• Expertise in purchasing information technology and associated licenses and maintenance agreements
• Bachelor's degree in Purchasing, Supply Chain, Business or similar area from an accredited institution, or equivalent education and experience in leading procurement or comparable business functions
• Significant, multi-year, experience leading and completing complex procurements
• Experience in analyzing, negotiating and generating year over year savings
• Multiple years experience in leading, supervising and positively motivating a large team
• Experience in a customer service environment
• Current Virginia Contracting Officer (VCO) certification or ability to obtain Virginia Contracting Associate (VCA) within one year of hire and VCO within two year(s) of hire; see https://vip.dgs.virginia.gov/ for more information on VCA and VCO certification process
For further information and to Apply: https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/34952
Background Check Statement:
The selected candidate's offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth's Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
EEO STATEMENT: The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.