Innovation allows an organization to make the most of every dollar spent. At Virginia's Community Colleges System (VCCS), our compelling mission, our ambitious strategic plan and our fiscal realities challenge us to ensure that community college resources are maximized for the priority of student success and credential completion.
Nestled between the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, the VCCS Shared Services Center is centrally located to all 23 colleges in the VCCS, 43 miles from Blacksburg, VA, and a four hour drive from Washington, D.C. A vital part of the ever-growing Roanoke Valley, Daleville is a haven for tourists and residents alike. Within an hour's drive are the breathtaking Smith Mountain Lake, world-famous Appalachian Trail, and many other outdoor activities, including golfing, biking, and hiking. The thriving Historic City Market in downtown Roanoke and the Daleville Town Center and Performance Pavilion also host farmers markets, community and cultural events, and festivals throughout the year.
The VCCS Shared Services Center is an innovation strategy to advance the priority of student success, reduce the administrative burden on individual colleges, consolidate transaction-based functions, create economies of scale and improve backroom process efficiency. This work allows the VCCS to better focus resources on the students – helping them start their educational journeys, persist, and succeed.
Under the supervision of the Shared Services Purchasing & Contracts Manager, the Purchasing Supervisor manages a purchasing team overseeing the procurement of a wide variety of goods and services for the 23 VCCS colleges, the System Office and the Shared Services Center.
• The position performs managerial/supervisory activities including monitoring, reviewing and evaluating performance of subordinate staff of approximately 11 with about 2 Lead Buyers and 9 Buyer Specialists
• Ensures that purchases are performed accurately and timely and in accordance with applicable VCCS and state policies and applicable laws. Solicits and issues contracts for goods and services as needed by the SSC customers utilizing a variety of procurement methods
• Manages all the daily, transactional high volume purchases
• Analyzes market data to make appropriate best value, compliant sourcing decisions.
• Organizes and designs the team in order to ensure speed and accuracy are achieved
• Employs best business practices to continuously improve performance, compliance, efficiency and effectiveness of procurement team. Assists the Purchasing & Contracts Manager and the Strategic Procurement Support Officer streamline and resolve operations-related procurement issues.
• Extensive experience purchasing goods and services with increasing levels of responsibility
• Demonstrated ability to lead a team to continually seek higher levels of efficiency and compliance
• Experience in managing appropriate metrics for desired end results where those results are achieved, sustained and appropriately raised
• Experience using and understanding of automated procurement systems (e-procurement)
• Demonstrated ability to analyze market data to make appropriate sourcing decisions
• Demonstrated ability to effectively lead or supervise staff and to develop staff knowledge, skills, and abilities
• Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, take initiative, handle multiple competing priorities, solve problems, and attend to detail while maintaining a big-picture perspective
• Demonstrated ability to think creatively, objectively, and to work to continuously improve business processes and to transfer those skills to others
• Ability to build working relationships to solve problems and achieve common goals
• Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional customer service to internal and external customers in a professional manner and to transfer those attributes to others
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment with matrix reporting relationships and multiple and diverse functional customers
• Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
• Ability to express thoughts clearly verbally, in writing, and through presentations
• Ability to develop, execute, measure and continuously improve procurement effectiveness
• Energetic, resourceful, and self-directed
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Willingness to stay on the forefront of procurement best practices
• Ability to use the computer hardware and software required for the job, including
• Expertise in MS Office products and demonstrated expertise to perform data analysis using Excel.
• Ability to travel within Virginia and within the United States as needed – less than10%.
Preferred/Highly Desirable Qualifications:
• Working knowledge of Commonwealth of Virginia procurement policies (VPPA, APSPM, etc.)
• Working knowledge of VCCS procurement policies
• Working knowledge of eVA (state procurement system)
• Working knowledge with AIS/PeopleSoft functionality
• Expertise in purchasing information technology and associated licenses and maintenance agreements
• Bachelor's degree in Purchasing, Supply Chain, Business or similar area from an accredited institution, or equivalent education
• Multiple years of experience leading and completing procurements
• Experience in leading, supervising and positively motivating a team
• Experience in a customer service environment
• Current Virginia Contracting Officer (VCO) certification or ability to obtain Virginia Contracting Associate (VCA) within one year of hire and VCO within two year(s) of hire; see https://vip.dgs.virginia.gov/ for more information on VCA and VCO certification process
• Experience managing a team of 10 or more
• Proven experience in analyzing procurement data to develop and implement process improvements
• Procurement experience in higher education and/or state government
Background Check Statement:
The selected candidate's offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth's Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
EEO STATEMENT: The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.