Innovation allows an organization to make the most of every dollar spent. At Virginia's Community Colleges System (VCCS), our compelling mission, our ambitious strategic plan and our fiscal realities challenge us to ensure that community college resources are maximized for the priority of student success and credential completion.
Nestled between the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, the VCCS Shared Services Center is centrally located to all 23 colleges in the VCCS, 43 miles from Blacksburg, VA, and a four hour drive from Washington, D.C. A vital part of the ever-growing Roanoke Valley, Daleville is a haven for tourists and residents alike. Within an hour's drive are the breathtaking Smith Mountain Lake, world-famous Appalachian Trail, and many other outdoor activities, including golfing, biking, and hiking. The thriving Historic City Market in downtown Roanoke and the Daleville Town Center and Performance Pavilion also host farmers markets, community and cultural events, and festivals throughout the year.
The VCCS Shared Services Center is an innovation strategy to advance the priority of student success, reduce the administrative burden on individual colleges, consolidate transaction-based functions, create economies of scale and improve backroom process efficiency. This work allows the VCCS to better focus resources on the students – helping them start their educational journeys, persist, and succeed.
Under the direction of the Payroll Manager, the Payroll Supervisor provides supervision, direction, training and development of all staff members responsible for all aspects of the Payroll process for the 23
VCCS colleges, System Office, and Shared Services Center. In addition, the Payroll Supervisor is responsible for:
• Ensuring Payroll staff are complying with VCCS Shared Service Center policies and the Commonwealth Accounting Policies and Procedures (CAPP) manual
• Maintaining proper internal controls to ensure accuracy of payroll records
• Ensuring Payroll staff maintain payroll files in accordance with the Department of Accounts (DOA) and VCCS SSC policies.
• Ensure staff maintains a high level of customer service by providing responsive and respectful communication and professionalism with internal and external customers, while maintaining open and responsive communication with customers
• Collaboratively working with SSC functional managers to ensure the colleges' and System Office's requirements are met
• Ensuring SSC staff completes reconciliations as outlined in the Payroll Service Level Agreement and in accordance with VCCS SSC and CAPP manual policies.
• Supporting compliance procedures associated with regulatory authorities (e.g. Auditor of Public Accounts, VCCS Internal Audit, and the Department of Accounts)
• Providing training to the colleges and System Office to educate necessary personnel on Payroll policies and procedures
• Enforce compliance with internal controls
• Ability to provide exceptional customer service to internal and external customers in a professional manner and to transfer those attributes to staff
• Ability to conduct effective performance management to develop staff knowledge, skills, and abilities
• Comprehensive knowledge of Internal Revenue Code, Regulations, and Rulings regarding income subject to inclusion in gross income, withholding, tax deposit and payment, and wage and tax reporting requirements
• Ability to operationalize agency goals, objectives, and strategies
• Demonstrated understanding and successful application of process improvement techniques
• Extensive expertise in complex payroll transactions
• Ability to exercise sound judgment, take initiative, handle multiple competing priorities, solve problems, and attend to detail while maintaining a big-picture perspective
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment with matrix reporting relationships and multiple and diverse functional customers
• Collaboratively work with SSC Operations Managers and other functional managers to ensure the colleges' and System Office's requirements are met.
• Ability to express thoughts clearly verbally, in writing, and through presentations
• Energetic, resourceful, and self-directed
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Willingness to stay on the forefront of payroll best practices
• Ability to use the computer hardware and software required for the job, including word processing, database, and spreadsheet applications
• Expertise in MS Office products and demonstrated expertise to perform data analysis using Excel and/or MS Access
• Bachelor's degree, with major emphasis in financial services, business administration, or similar area from an accredited institution, or equivalent education and experience
• Comprehensive experience and knowledge of Internal Revenue Code, Regulations, and Rulings regarding income subject to inclusion in gross income, withholding, tax deposit and payment, and wage and tax reporting requirements.
• Experience using continuous improvement techniques
• Extensive payroll experience to include healthcare, retirement, and other benefit reconciliations
• Experience with internal controls as it relates to payroll
• Demonstrated experience in effectively leading, supervising, conducting effective performance management and positively motivating a large staff
• Experience with HRIS systems such as CIPPS, Cardinal and/or Peoplesoft/Oracle
• Intermediate level experience with Microsoft Office, especially with Excel.
• Payroll experience in higher education and/or state government
• Experience writing and updating policies and procedures
• Experience working in a start-up and/or ambiguous environment
• Knowledge of the Department of Accounts CAPP
• Experience or knowledge of multi-state taxation
Background Check Statement:
The selected candidate's offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth's Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
EEO STATEMENT: The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.