Virginia Community College System
Innovation allows an organization to make the most of every dollar spent. At Virginia’s Community Colleges System (VCCS), our compelling mission, our ambitious strategic plan and our fiscal realities challenge us to ensure that community college resources are maximized for the priority of student success and credential completion.
Nestled between the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, the VCCS Shared Services Center is centrally located to all 23 colleges in the VCCS, 43 miles from Blacksburg, VA, and a four hour drive from Washington, D.C. A vital part of the ever-growing Roanoke Valley, Daleville is a haven for tourists and residents alike. Within an hour’s drive are the breathtaking Smith Mountain Lake, world-famous Appalachian Trail, and many other outdoor activities, including golfing, biking, and hiking. The thriving Historic City Market in downtown Roanoke and the Daleville Town Center and Performance Pavilion also host farmers markets, community and cultural events, and festivals throughout the year.
The VCCS Shared Services Center is an innovation strategy to advance the priority of student success, reduce the administrative burden on individual colleges, consolidate transaction-based functions, create economies of scale and improve backroom process efficiency. This work allows the VCCS to better focus resources on the students – helping them start their educational journeys, persist, and succeed.
Supporting the Senior Manager, HR & Finance, oversees the Finance Operations, Payroll Operations, and Human Resource Operations services provided to the 23 colleges, System Office, and Shared Services including but not limited to accounts payable, travel and expense reimbursement, payroll, onboarding, applicant tracking as well as time and leave. Responsible for the planning, implementation, and direction of all fiscal and accounting policy and procedures, payroll policy and procedures and HR operations policies and procedures for the SSC.
- As directed by the Senior Manager, HR & Finance, implements SSC strategic objectives and initiatives.
- Position manages via high performing service line managers, Finance Operations, Payroll Operations and Human Resource Operations areas, providing leadership, supervision, performance management, and development opportunities to operational line managers.
- Ensures Finance Operations, Payroll Operations and Human Resource Operations service level agreements and performance expectations are achieved, and service level agreements maintained.
- Supports and engages with service line managers and System Office functional experts to resolve system issue and ensure issues and concerns are brought to closure quickly.
- Develops, updates, and communicates internally and externally all key metrics for areas of oversight.
- Directs efforts to streamline and problem solve operations related to areas of oversight.
- Develops strong quality control programs in each area and ensures line managers are complying with developed standards.
- Engages with colleges to ensure change management is occurring effectively and stands prepared to pivot to meet college needs.
- Communicates frequently, timely and effectively with leadership and team members and stands prepared to stand in for the Sr. Manager of HR & Finance at Senior level meetings.
- Significant knowledge of Fiscal, Payroll and Human Resource policies.
- Considerable knowledge of State and Federal laws related to employment.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge to document and implement internal control structures.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage staff in development of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, take initiative, handle multiple competing priorities, and attend to detail while maintaining a big-picture perspective.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement policies and procedures for areas of oversight.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment with matrix reporting relationships and multiple and varied functional customers.
- Ability to express thoughts clearly verbally, in writing, and if applicable, through presentations.
- Ability to develop, execute, measure, and continuously improve areas of oversight.
- Ability to use the computer hardware and software required for the job.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to build working relationships to solve problems and achieve common goals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to communicate effectively with leadership regarding status and needs of their area.
- Ability to organize and coordinate projects involving numerous people.
- Ability to travel within Virginia and within the United States as needed – approximately 10%.
- Proven competency in collaboration and teamwork.
- Energetic, resourceful, and self-directed.
- Willingness and desire to stay on the forefront of Finance, Payroll and Human Resource Operations best practices.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Proven expertise in management and supervisory and leadership practices.
- Expertise in MS Office products, specifically Excel.
Preferred/Highly Desirable KSA’s:
- Working knowledge of DOA, DHRM, VCCS policies and CAPP
- Working knowledge of VCCS personnel and fiscal policies.
- Working knowledge with AIS/HRMS/PeopleSoft functionality and/or ERP
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft/ Oracle systems.
- Knowledge of state and federal pay practices and regulations.
- Knowledge of process improvement techniques.
- Comprehensive knowledge of fiscal operations management and accounting.
- Experience managing high performing operational line managers at a shared services or call center.
- Proven experience in a start-up or dynamic environment.
- Previous work experience in corporate or public accounting, and state government.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Management from an accredited institution; or equivalent education and experience
- Multi-year experience in managing operations environment in one or more of the following service lines: Finance, Payroll, Human Resources
- Multi-year experience leading and/or supervising operations managers or large teams
- Graduate degree in Accounting, Finance or Management
- CPA, SHRM-SCP, SPHR
- Project Management experience and/or PMP
- Experience in higher education and/or state government, or large corporate environment
- Experience in a shared services center environment
- Six Sigma, Lean, or similar training
- Experience with multi-state taxation
- Experience with benefits administration
To view the full job description and to apply, go to https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/47632
The Virginia Community College System Office is an Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to fostering, cultivating and sustaining a culture of diversity and inclusion. The VCCS encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans and those with disabilities in our effort to reflect our diverse society.
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.