Human Resources Operations Specialist
Human Resources Operations Specialist
Innovation allows an organization to make the most of every dollar spent. At Virginia's Community Colleges System (VCCS), our compelling mission, our ambitious strategic plan and our fiscal realities challenge us to ensure that community college resources are maximized for the priority of student success and credential completion.
Nestled between the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, the VCCS Shared Services Center is centrally located to all 23 colleges in the VCCS, 43 miles from Blacksburg, VA, and a four hour drive from Washington, D.C. A vital part of the ever-growing Roanoke Valley, Daleville is a haven for tourists and residents alike. Within an hour's drive are the breathtaking Smith Mountain Lake, world-famous Appalachian Trail, and many other outdoor activities, including golfing, biking, and hiking. The thriving Historic City Market in downtown Roanoke and the Daleville Town Center and Performance Pavilion also host farmers markets, community and cultural events, and festivals throughout the year.
The VCCS Shared Services Center is an innovation strategy to advance the priority of student success, reduce the administrative burden on individual colleges, consolidate transaction-based functions, create economies of scale and improve backroom process efficiency. This work allows the VCCS to better focus resources on the students – helping them start their educational journeys, persist, and succeed.
• Reporting to the HR Operations Line Supervisor, the position performs technical and consultative services in one or more functional areas of human resource management. This position will work with onboarding services to include executing and verifying onboarding processes and entering data into multiple HRIS systems.
• Provide functional support, guidance and assistance to the HR Operations Technicians utilizing HRIS systems
• Investigate and work to resolve system issues and provide timely updates to interested parties on system functionality.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Basic math, telephone procedures, and standard business communications.
• Computer systems and Microsoft Office programs, such as Excel and Word.
• State and federal hiring practices and regulations.
• Knowledge of process improvement techniques.
• Computer expertise with knowledge of Microsoft Office applications,
• Strong verbal communication, writing, and proofreading/editing
• Strong attention to detail.
• Organizational and follow-up skills to ensure processes are conducted smoothly and timely.
• Advanced customer service.
• Critical thinking and analytical thinking
• To provide exceptional customer service.
• Take ownership to investigate and resolve customer issues with a sense of urgency
• Treat team members as internal customers and enable them to succeed
• Manage several projects or tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines.
• Communicate effectively with leadership regarding status and needs
• Work in a fast-paced environment with multiple customers and priorities.
• Apply knowledge of human resource principles and practices, including federal and state laws and regulations applicable to work.
• Provide accurate and timely analysis of a variety of data
• Work flexible hours as needed.
• Travel to System Office or other colleges for training and meetings.
• Produce documents and reports as needed.
• Organize and maintain employment files.
• Key data into multiple HRIS systems in an accurate and timely manner.
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Analyze issues and recommend actions.
• Work independently, as well as a team member.
• Associate's degree in Business or related field, or equivalent education and work experience
• Experience handling multiple administrative tasks/assignments at one time
• Working experience in an everchanging, evolving environment
• Considerable experience assessing and delivering solutions
• Multiple years of Customer service experience
• Extensive experience using on-boarding systems, and enterprise HRIS systems
• Shared Services or call center experience
• Advanced experience with MS Office
• Experience with DHRM and VCCS hiring policies and procedures
• Experience working in a higher education environment
• Process improvement experience
• Experience with SharePoint
• Experience using Peoplesoft HCM
• PHR, SPHR and/or SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP
• SQL experience
• HTML experience
Background Check Statement:
The selected candidate's offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth's Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
EEO STATEMENT: The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.