Compliance Audit Officer
Compliance Audit Officer
Innovation allows an organization to make the most of every dollar spent. At Virginia’s Community Colleges System (VCCS), our compelling mission, our ambitious strategic plan and our fiscal realities challenge us to ensure that community college resources are maximized for the priority of student success and credential completion.
Nestled between the Blue Ridge and Appalachian Mountains, the VCCS Shared Services Center is centrally located to all 23 colleges in the VCCS, 43 miles from Blacksburg, VA, and a four hour drive from Washington, D.C. A vital part of the ever-growing Roanoke Valley, Daleville is a haven for tourists and residents alike. Within an hour’s drive are the breathtaking Smith Mountain Lake, world-famous Appalachian Trail, and many other outdoor activities, including golfing, biking, and hiking. The thriving Historic City Market in downtown Roanoke and the Daleville Town Center and Performance Pavilion also host farmers markets, community and cultural events, and festivals throughout the year.
The VCCS Shared Services Center is an innovation strategy to advance the priority of student success, reduce the administrative burden on individual colleges, consolidate transaction-based functions, create economies of scale and improve backroom process efficiency. This work allows the VCCS to better focus resources on the students – helping them start their educational journeys, persist, and succeed.
The position will assess the Shared Service Center’s internal controls to comply with the Commonwealth’s Agency Risk Management & Internal Control Standards (ARMICS). Additionally, the individual will also plan, coordinate, and conduct independent and objective audits and investigations as necessary.
Duties and Tasks:
- Apply knowledge of professional auditing standards to comply with annual State internal control assessment requirements.
- Evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls and establish findings and prepare audit reports; able to recommend corrective action when necessary.
- Assist in managing all aspects of an audit. Including developing testing strategies, audit programs, fieldwork, interviews, testing controls, collecting, and maintaining work papers.
- Provide sound business judgment, strategic thinking, and broad financial and business perspective; interpret policies and regulations; analyze fiscal transactions for conformity with procedures.
- Analyze and recommend process improvements, risk mitigation strategies; and provide senior management guidance regarding audit findings and other internal control issues.
- Ensure that audit planning, fieldwork, and reporting are completed in a timely manner, meet quality standards, and comply with applicable professional standards; ability to manage multiple audits/projects under tight deadlines and work across various functional areas.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of employees within the organization; communicate effectively – both verbally and in writing.
- High personal standards and professional ethics with a commitment for excellence.
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices.
- Understanding of auditing standards. Understanding of internal control concepts and experience in applying them to plan, perform, and report to the various stakeholders.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and evaluate internal controls and interpret policies & procedures.
- Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently, with limited required direction and guidance.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, to effectively present to peers and management.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Significant experience conducting audit engagements.
- Experience establishing and maintaining internal controls.
- Master’s degree in audit, accounting or finance.
- Understanding of business process, risk and controls.
- Experience evaluating internal controls and Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Compliance.
- Experience with the community college system business office practices.
- Experience with internal audit/ARMICS best practices.
- Experience in higher education, local or state government.
To view the full job description and to apply, go to https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/46681
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.