Transit Operations Trainer - FT
- General Definition of Work
Performs intermediate technical work training Bus Operators, monitoring training progress, assisting with the development and implementation of curriculum and training materials, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the supervision of the Training and Safety Coordinator. This position is classified as an essential position during designated planned and unplanned events.
- Essential Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provides classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel training for all new operator candidates.
- Conducts transit bus simulations for new operators; provides individualized re-training as required.
- Monitors operators with regard to safe operating practices; provides counseling and progress evaluations.
- Performs ride checks and in-service checks.
- Assists with the development and implementation of curriculum and training materials; evaluates and updates materials to be incorporated into training.
- Informs Training & Safety Coordinator of concerns or issues with trainees’ performance.
- Prepares and submits reports; prepares and maintains training records and files.
- Performs the duties of a bus operator as needed.
Possession of or ability to obtain Defensive Driving Instructor certification within one year of employment.
Valid commercial driver's license (Class B with Air Brakes and P endorsement) in the Commonwealth of Virginia with a satisfactory driving record.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of the safe operation of a transit bus; general knowledge of training aids and devices; skill in the safe operation of a transit bus; thorough knowledge of the geography of the Town and location of streets and roads; ability to communicate instructions effectively to bus drivers; ability to assist and train bus drivers with patience and understanding; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED and moderate experience as a bus driver, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior experience in training is preferred.
- Physical Requirements
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, frequently requires standing, sitting, using hands to finger, handle or feel and repetitive motions and occasionally requires walking, climbing or balancing, tasting or smelling and lifting; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to outdoor weather conditions, exposure to vibration and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
The Town of Blacksburg offers a wide range of benefits.
Read more about what we offer here.