Transit Bus Operator- Part Time
- General Definition of Work
Blacksburg Transit Bus Operators perform intermediate semiskilled work operating a transit vehicle. Other duties may include but are not limited to: assisting passengers, providing information about Transit services, collecting fares, monitoring the condition of the vehicle, and completing reports. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the Transit Operations Supervisor. This position is classified as an essential position during designated planned or unplanned events.
$2,000 hiring bonus payable upon attaining certain milestones during the training period:
Tier 1 - $600 upon obtaining a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP)
Tier 2 - $600 upon obtaining a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
Tier 3 - $800 upon the successful completion of the training program
NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED! WE WILL TRAIN YOU!! All we ask is that you have a good driving record, enjoy interacting with people, and have a willingness to learn. We will train and guide you through the rest of the process.
Check out https://www.ridebt.org/drive for more information on becoming a Bus Operator with Blacksburg Transit.
- Essential Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Operates transit vehicle on an assigned route and schedule
- Performs pre-trip inspections of vehicle; reports defects and/or maintenance needs
- Attends required meetings, trainings, and classes
- Completes assigned shift paperwork
- Completes other required job-related paperwork when necessary
- Collects fares and transfers; checks passenger IDs and passes; enters required information on mobile data terminal and/or paper
- Boards and off loads passengers
- Complies with ADA requirements in assisting passengers, including operating wheelchair lift and mobility device tie-downs; ensures that ADA announcements are made
- Provides information concerning schedules to passengers
- Operates radio, reports unusual traffic conditions, bus condition, passenger emergencies or other problems
- Assists with training staff and new operators as appropriate
- Uses a computer for utilization of work scheduling and e-mail programs
- Complies with Blacksburg Transit and Town of Blacksburg policies and procedures
- Performs other duties as apparent or assigned
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of regional traffic rules and regulations
- Thorough knowledge of the geography of the Town
- Ability to operate passenger vehicles and related equipment safely and efficiently
- Ability to remain alert and to remain calm during periods of stress
- Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with the public
- Ability to keep records and prepare reports
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language
- Ability to perform simple math functions such as adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing
- Ability to read maps and follow written route instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma or GED required
- Minimal experience operating a public transportation vehicle and working with the public, or equivalent combination of education and experience
Valid commercial driver's license (Class B with Air Brakes and P endorsement) in the Commonwealth of Virginia with a satisfactory driving record.
This is a safety-sensitive position subject to drug and alcohol testing guidelines as set forth by the Federal Transit Administration and the US Department of Transportation in 49 CFR Part 40, and Part 655, as amended.
A pre-employment drug screening is required.
- Physical Requirements
- This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 10 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force
- Work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling and lifting
- Work has standard vision requirements
- Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word
- Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound
- Work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities
- Work occasionally requires exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to outdoor weather conditions, exposure to vibration and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment
- Work is generally in a loud noise location (e.g. grounds maintenance, heavy traffic)
No benefits are available for this position.