Transit Bus Operator III
Town of Blacksburg Blacksburg, VA Full-time Transportation
Posted on July 21, 2021
- General Definition of Work
- Performs intermediate semiskilled work operating a transit vehicle, assisting passengers, providing information about the transit services, collecting fees, monitoring the condition of the vehicle, completing reports and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the Transit Operations Supervisor. This position is classified as an essential position during designated planned or unplanned events.
- Essential Functions
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Operates transit vehicle on an assigned route and schedule
- Performs pre-trip inspections of vehicle; reports defects and/or maintenance needs
- Attends required meetings, trainings and classes
- Completes assigned shift paperwork
- Completes other required job-related paperwork when necessary
- Collects fares and transfers; checks passenger IDs and passes; enters required information on mobile data terminal and/or paper
- Boards and off loads passengers
- Complies with ADA requirements in assisting passengers, including operating the wheelchair lift and mobility device tie-downs; ensures that ADA announcements are made
- Provides information concerning schedules to passenger
- Operates radio, reports unusual traffic conditions, bus condition, passenger emergencies or other problems
- Assists with training staff and new operators as appropriate
- Uses a computer for utilization of work scheduling and e-mail programs
- Complies with Blacksburg Transit and Town of Blacksburg policies and procedures
- Physical Requirements
- This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 10 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling and lifting; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to outdoor weather conditions, exposure to vibration and exposure to blood-borne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a loud noise location(e.g. grounds maintenance, heavy traffic).
The Town of Blacksburg offers a wide range of benefits.
Read more about what we offer here.