Transit Bus Operator I
- General Definition of Work
Performs intermediate semiskilled work operating a transit vehicle, assisting passengers, providing information about the transit services, collecting fares, monitoring the condition of the vehicle, completing reports and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the Transit Operations Supervisor. This position is classified as an essential position during designated planned or unplanned events.
For more information on employment with Blacksburg Transit, please visit www.ridebt.org/drive
- Essential Functions
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Operates transit vehicle on an assigned route and schedule
- Performs pre-trip inspections of vehicle; reports defects and/or maintenance needs
- Attends required meetings, trainings, and classes
- Completes assigned shift paperwork
- Completes other required job-related paperwork when necessary
- Collects fares and transfers; checks passenger IDs and passes; enters required information on mobile data terminal and/or paper
- Boards and off loads passengers
- Complies with ADA requirements in assisting passengers, including operating wheelchair lift and mobility device tie-downs; ensures that ADA announcements are made
- Provides information concerning schedules to passengers
- Operates radio, reports unusual traffic conditions, bus condition, passenger emergencies or other problems
- Assists with training staff and new operators as appropriate
- Uses a computer for utilization of work scheduling and e-mail programs
- Complies with Blacksburg Transit and Town of Blacksburg policies and procedures
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of regional traffic rules and regulations; thorough knowledge of the geography of the Town; ability to operate passenger vehicles and related equipment safely and efficiently; ability to remain alert and to remain calm during periods of stress; ability to deal courteously and tactfully with the public; ability to keep records and prepare reports; ability to read, write and speak the English language; ability to perform simple math functions such as adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing; ability to read maps and follow written route instructions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Education & Experience:
High school diploma or GED and minimal experience operating a public transportation vehicle and working with the public, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Valid commercial driver's license (Class B with Air Brakes and P endorsement) in the Commonwealth of Virginia with a satisfactory driving record.
- Physical Requirements
This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 10 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling and lifting; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to outdoor weather conditions, exposure to vibration and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a loud noise location (e.g. grounds maintenance, heavy traffic).
No benefits are available for this position.